• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects freezes when importing dng image sequence

New Here ,
Jul 06, 2024 Jul 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After Effects will only import a single dng sequence.

I shoot a lot of video as Adobe Cinema DNG and in the past I've imported hundreds of such video clips. Normally, upon import of the dng image sequence, After Effects automatically launches Adobe Camera Raw which allows me to grade the image. I click OK and After Effects brings in the dng image sequence. I can create a composition and export as an .mxf file through Adobe Media Encoder. This workflow I've used for years, hundreds of times, without a problem.

Now, however, After Effects freezes while importing a dng image sequence.

With a new project, I can import one dng image sequence without issue. When I try to import a second dng image sequence, After Effects freezes or hangs on import. It freezes trying to launch Adobe Camera Raw, which never opens. It's as if it can't talk to Adobe Camera Raw the second time.

All my Adobe apps in the Creative Suite are up to date, as is my Nvidia driver. Loading a previous version of Adobe Camera Raw produced the same results. I'm on Windows 11 with an i9-13900k processor, 64Gb of Ram. As I've said, I've imported hundreds of Adobe Cinema DNG image sequences with this system, and now it fails.

Any ideas?

I cannot be down for long. My only other option is to switch to DaVinci Resolve but I'm hesitant to abandon the process I've used for years for dng image sequences and raw time lapse sequences from my mirrorless camera.

Thank you.

TOPICS
Crash , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 08, 2024 Jul 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi James,

Thanks for writing in. Can you test with the media that has worked previously without any problem? It'll help us to understand if it's an issue with the media or not. If it's not the media, can you try running After Effects in Safe Mode and see if that brings any change?

Looking forward to your response. Moving this thread from Bugs to Discussions for troubleshooting.

Thanks,
Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2024 Jul 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nishu –

Yes, I can confirm that the error continues with media I’ve successfully used before. In the past, I have processed a few hundred clips, both Adobe CinemaDNG recorded with my Sigma Fp camera, and timelapse sequences with either my older Nikon DSLR or my current Panasonic mirrorless S1R. All of these I was able to import without issue.

When this current crisis presented itself, I went back and tried to import both CDNG and timelapse image sequences I had done previously. They froze After Effects as well as my newer footage shot last week. And I tested them after clearing preferences and or starting in Safe Mode in After Effects and restarting my computer. I also tried them in a new project. I could import a single image sequence and send it to Media Encoder, but if I tried importing a second image sequence, After Effects hangs when it tries to launch Adobe Camera Raw.

With one of these new projects that has only allows me a single image sequence in a comp, I can go to Interpret Footage – Main – More Options and it will successfully launch Adobe Camera Raw so I can finesse the color grading. But I can only have one image sequence per project whereas previously I would have dozens of image sequences based on locations, etc.

Additionally, the older projects that contain the image sequences that were once good, will not allow me to regrade them through the Interpret Footage dialogue, they also present the image sequences in their respective compositions as if they were never graded in the first place.

I’ve tried everything I can think of, it’s exasperating to have this workflow I’ve used without issue for years suddenly crash and burn.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 09, 2024 Jul 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for getting back, Jim. Where are your files saved? Is it on the local drive or in an external/server location? In case of external/server location, can you try importing them from the local drive? If that doesn't help either, try changing the permissions as instructed here: https://adobe.ly/4eWBZEQ

Let us know the outcome.

^Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2024 Jul 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All the files are on local drives. I went to the folders as directed and changed permissions, although none of them had any deny checkboxes applied.  This had no affect on the issue, After Effects does not want to work with Adobe Camera Raw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2024 Jul 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing permisssions didn't work and I uninstalled and reinstalled Adobe Creative Cloud and all my apps. 

After Effects is still broken. Do you have any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 15, 2024 Jul 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for giving it a try. Do you mind sharing some media files so that we can try to replicate the issue on my end? Feel free to share via DM if you do not want to share it publically.

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks,
Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2024 Jul 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nishu -

I don't know how to DM you, sorry, and I'm very busy with a shoot this week. Do you have my email via my adobe account? If you email me I can send you a link to google drive where you can download the file. BTW, my profile picture is very weird. Some kind of toothy creature. I never uploaded this image and have always used the Adobe generic picture. Is it possible that my account has been hacked? Just wondering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 16, 2024 Jul 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's not a problem. Feel free to reach out whenever you get time. To DM me, click on my profile, and you'll see a blue Message button. Sorry, we do not provide support by email.

About the profile picture, random profile pictures are assigned when a profile is created. You can change it and use your customer picture.

Thanks,
Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines