• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects freezes Windows

New Here ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this bug in After Effects on my work computer. When I preview render, AE often freezes all other applications so I cannot use them. And it doesn't unfreeze them until I log-out and login again with my computer. Just quiting After Effects does not work. Had this exact problem on my own private PC when using After Effects. That computer has 64 GB RAM, thought it would solve the problem having more RAM. My work computer has 128 GB. Now with the AE Beta, that is supporting multi-CPU rendering, my other software does not freeze, but instead, render preview does not always work. I can click. See. Click. See. Frustrating. Help!?

TOPICS
Freeze or hang , Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Feb 17, 2023 Feb 17, 2023

You can try this

In After Effects go to Edit -> Preferences ->

Import -> check if "hardware accelerated decoding" under "video footage" is enabled.

Make sure that is turned off!

Then restart AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to change the amount of memory asigned to After Effects. Go to Edit > Preferences > Memory and Performance. Increase the RAM reserved for other applications, restart AE and try again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have 64 GB RAM for other apps. Still freezes other apps, even after I have quit After Effects. Even have to log-out from Windows using only hotkeys, cannot click!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you running After Effects as an Administrator? Also I would try to deactivate GPU acceleration under File > Project Settings. Enter into Video Rendering and Effects tab and choose Mercury Software Only before start using After Effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wasn't running AE as an admin, starting with that today.
Project was already set to Mercury Software Only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Fake Pilot @ EA,

Sorry for your issue.

Could you share the rest of your system specifications (CPU, GPU, OS)? Are you using any third-party plug-ins for After Effects? Alos, does it happen with all the projects?

Let us know, we're here to help.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit

Intel Core i9 10980XE @ 3.00Ghz

128 GB @ 1337Mhz
Dell
GeForce RTX 3080

Are you using any third-party plug-ins for After Effects?
Yes, more than I can count here and some of them that I have to use.
Like, Boris, Red Giant, Aescripts, etc.

Alos, does it happen with all the projects?
It happens when I have medium to big projects.

Also happens on my home computer, with other projects/plugins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Started using the new AE 22.0 today with a new project, without using external plugins and this bug is still there, freezing all my windows. I removed all extensions, all plugins including Mediacore, no scripts used at all. Still freezes all my apps in Windows after some usage.

Got help from Adobe support to solve this issue, which concluded this was caused by third party plugins.
Can confirm now, that's not the case!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2022 Jan 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe staff. Can you please adress this bug? Still forced to use Beta versions to avoid it. But now Beta 22.2 and 22.3 crashes every time I open it and I cannot install 22.1 anymore. I'm locked from doing my job!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2023 Apr 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IS YOUR PROBLEM SOLVED IF YES THEN HOW PLZ LET ME KNOW BECAUSE I AM HAVIG THE SAME PROBLEM 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2023 Feb 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try this

In After Effects go to Edit -> Preferences ->

Import -> check if "hardware accelerated decoding" under "video footage" is enabled.

Make sure that is turned off!

Then restart AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2023 Dec 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much, it really works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines