• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects general Performance Issue with EXR. But Good Performance on low-speced Notebook

New Here ,
Jan 14, 2022 Jan 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Friends,

recently i got into a lot of trouble with After Effects and i dont know how so solve this Problem:

as example when i want to export 4k openEXR to ProRes with Just HDR Highlight-Recovery as an effect (no other effects, just one layer with HDR-H-Recovery) to get the Full Dynamic-Range of my render back and a ProRes-File, i get realy, really bad performance. The Render starts extremly fast end slows down to the point where it freezes the software and the entire OS/System and the RAM overflows.

Its an uncompressed 30 Seconds UHD 32bit float openEXR-Sequence with huge 90mb/frame. i know that is computation heavy, but:

Notebook Lenovo 5 Legion Pro (5600H. RTX 3060, 16Gb RAM) renders it in just 4min50Sek

Notebook Macbook Pro M1Max 64Gb RAM renders in 2min55Sek (impressive)

but my highend all watercooled workstation (Threadripper 3970X 32core 4,1Ghz, RTX 3090 gpu2, RTX 2080 gpu1 128Gb RAM, 1Tb 980 Pro SSD for AE-Cache etc... needs around 20-30minutes, if its not crashing or freezing the whole system and finishes the render.

I feel extremly stupid because i am doing AE for nearly 15 years now and havent faced such a unresolvable issue with AE

I tried serveral AE-Versions, checked power-saving-settings, set manual highperformance graphics mode for AE, Set the 3090 manual to AE in Nvidia-Control Panel, checked Cache, Mercury (CUDA) and like everything i know.

I even did a complete reinstall of all Adobe Software including cleaning deep inside the Adobe-installation and Reg-Stuff. Windows 10 is up to date, AE 2022 updated (today), Nvidia-driver (game-ready) are updated today as well.

The Behavior seems the same all the time: If the RAM gets kicked full like 127/128 GB the whole system gets realy slow and of course the render slows down extremly. Same with older Version of AE like 2020, 2021. This shouldnt even be possible because inside AE i assigned only 96GB to AE.

issue also present when i just preview in the timeline

Btw. Performance and Benchmarks of all hardware is as expected. Blender and Davinci Resolve are running super smooth. Just Adobe causes those issues.

i dont understand the RAM-Problem, because the way less speced 16Gb Notebook runs it seemless, no crashes or issues and with continous progress speed.

Is there a Possibility the Pagefile, RAM-Management or Caching is broken here in any way?

Did someone faced this or a similar issue in the Past.

I do not know how long that issue is present, maybe weeks or months. without EXRs nothing freezes or crashes so thought the scenes where just comp heavy.

i even tried DWAA OpenEXR, which files are more compressed and way smaler. same issue

Btw. i was in contact with two Adobe Service Employes via chat and Remote Acces. They tried the Standard-Things to try, but couldnt solve the Issue.

If anybody who´s faced such an issue can help me or give me a hint for further trouble-shooting i would be extremly happy. At the moment the only thing to try next would be a complete Windows 10 Reinstall to be sure there is no driver-issue or similar problems.

Thank you very much! and have a nice day my Motion graphics and VFX-Friends.

TOPICS
Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Import and export , Performance , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some of these functions are poorly multithreaded, so there is generally little benefit in using machines with hunky CPUs and a million cores. It's the old curse of AE. The rest may simply boild down to not using multiframe rendering and/ or getting a handle on potentially leaky drivers to not make the program gobble up all memory.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, I know that. Single-core performance of my 3970X is still the same or better than the 5600H.

is your recommendation an OS reinstall?

i think I will try with second ssd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines