• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects - Is it possible to have the text auto track when following path? so doesn´t overlap?

New Here ,
Apr 11, 2022 Apr 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I was wondering if there is any AE wizards out here that can help with my query here. I´m experimenting with some text animation along a path. However, the characters seem to overlap and look super messy when they meet on the corner - I was wondering if anyone knows of a way that I can set the tracking of the text to be automatic so that the characters don´t overlap when they get close to that corner?

Hopefully, that makes sense; I have attached some screenshots/ render of how the sketch looks at the moment, as well as the DIA studio reference for Squarespace that I am trying to emulate (this is how I want this animation to turn out). I can also provide the working file if that would be of use! 

Thanks in advance! 

TOPICS
Expressions , How to , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 11, 2022 Apr 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no built-in collision detection and you can't fake it with a million text animators, either, due to how those work. Any such trickery would require a plug-in like Newton or using other solutions like a 3D program where such stuff is commonplace. Otherwise you may have to settle for creating a separate layer for each letter and adjust the animation timing, which in most cases would likely even be faster than setting up complex simulations or messing around with expressions.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For the specific look you are going for, I don't think it can be done only with one text layer following a motion path.
I believe you must use two identical 3D text layers, placed at a 90 degree angle.

Then it's only a matter of syncing the 'End' range selector of an opacity Animator and the X-axis on a position Animator,

on both layers. (on the first layer you are going to "remove" letters and on the second you are going to "add")

If you are comfortable with expressions, you can link the above values to a Slider Control and automate it even further.

Then you precompose everything and you apply a Motion Tile effect.

Just a suggestion 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines