• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects is messing up colors when importing MP4

New Here ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a MKV file that I need to use in After Effects. So, since AE does not import that format, I've used FFmpeg to convert to MP4 losslessly. The MP4 file works fine on VLC, but when I try to import into AE the colors are all messed up.

The attached image shows the same MP4 file loaded into VLC (left) and After Effects (right).

The codec info is: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc1)

aftereffects_color.jpg

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update your graphics driver and check your hardware acceleration settings.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi maurihelme,

Sorry for your issue.

Does it happen specifically to the MP4 files? If so, please try the following steps:

1. Go to Edit > Preferences > Import > uncheck "Enable hardware accelerated decoding (requires restart)".
  2. Restart After Effects.
  3. Go to  Edit > Preferences > Media & Disc Cache and click Empty Disk Cache and Clean Database & Cache.
  4. Import your file and see if it brings any change.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Nishu,

Did all the steps, same thing happens.

This happens only with the lossless MP4 extracted from the MKV. If I re-encode the same file, using Handbrake for example, it works, but with quality loss.

I managed to make it work using the ProRes codec. This way I get a near lossless file and it works on After Effects.

It's not the ideal solution since the file is much bigger, but at least it works.

Also, this issue happens with all Adobe apps. I tried to import the same file into Premiere Pro, Photoshop and even Animate. The colors are always messed up. And I've tested in two different computers, my Intel desktop and a Ryzen notebook. Same thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines