• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects is unbelievably slow on M1 Macbook

New Here ,
Jul 24, 2021 Jul 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone, I have been using AE for 3 years. I was using a windows PC in the beginings of my experience which had 16 GB ram and i7 intel CPU. 4 months ago I switched my system into Apple and I was expecting a relief on my workflow, but I have exteremely disappointed. AE runs slower than my 5-year-old PC. Previews are ridiculously slow, renders are boring. Last day I worked on a small 20-25 sec. footage, on which just I applied an camera blur with automation, it took about 1 hour to work and render the file.

Does anybody know when will the optimization arrives? Because I'm not getting what I pay for.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 21, 2022 Jan 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use After Effects Beta (which runs natively on the M1), your M1 Max will be noticably faster then the 2020 iMac. Its annoying but its been pretty stable for me so far and runs almost all of my plugins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 27, 2022 May 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here on MBP M1. After effects is crazy slow and I think it is not even the Rosetta version anymore. At least Premire is running faster than my old Intel mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2022 Nov 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to update my post.   

The M1 is finally faster than my 2020 iMac!  ðŸ™‚  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 25, 2022 Nov 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downgraded to 22.3 and it is now working really well. I have tried every later version except the beta and they were as slow as molasses. Ram preview is quick, each frame refreshes almost instantly when I scrub through the comp and it renders out very quickly. Even a 2.5 minute animation of moderate complexity with camera movement and precomposed animated elements exported with media composer in about 10 minutes. Basically it's running about as well as a €3500 should. Now my only complaint is the screen which is far too bright and vivid and I don't trust it for colour grading.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If that is the case, I ask myself what all of these YouTubers reviewed and tested. Were they all sponsored? That's a pretty serious question!

That was the case why I bought an M1. I didn´t buy it to notice that my 4 years old PC is pretty faster. Seriously since when are the first M1s released and I still have to download some Beta stuff?

Don´t get me wrong but slowly I feel I missed something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

double the price for just 25% more power…. https://youtu.be/FS0bnE5Yf1k

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2022 Feb 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. Depressing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2022 Feb 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same. I have spent half a day looking at forums for an answer as to why my M1 can't preview render a simple 10 second animation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem on a new M1 Pro, but I found a fix, at least for now. Trash the preferences by holding Alt (Windows) or Option (Mac OS) while launching After Effects. Then can release the Alt or Option key when the splash screen appears.

Feels much faster and I can at least keep working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There could be some problems with the Color Manager. You could try to work without color management. Let us know if it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unbelievably bad performance! Very difficult to work. Reverting to Intel machine and just using the M1 to render. To use F1 parlance "quick in a straight line - but can't corner!"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem with a brand new M1 pro max 64GB MacBook Pro. After effects version 22 previews are unusably slow even at quarter res in a simple comp. I tried the beta and it seems reasonable but many plugins I rely on are not yet supported on M1 so this is not an option. What is strange is that I have asked other users of this same computer if they are having the same trouble, and some are while others have no problems. Are some of these computers buggy? Is there some particular system setup that causes the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its still a young m1 version. In some jears - right before they change to a other cpu system - it will work pretty well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installed the latest BETA.

Slight improvement with preview but refresh and navigation is painfully slow.

Audio waveform fails to redraw.

Text effects don't update so it is very difficult to type and edit any text.

Oh dear! 

Again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Puppet tool doesn't function.

22.4.0 BETA MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB OSX 12.2.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Struggling with Text Animation Effects takes ages to render previews which are usually real-time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Removed all returns and tabs in imported text. Projects seem to run faster now.

Trying with different color settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its not better with the ultra:

Double the price for just 25% more speed….

They trick the numbers even in their Presentation Videos.

https://youtu.be/FS0bnE5Yf1k

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some users who recently upgraded to macOS Monterey are experiencing a bug known as a "memory leak," a scenario in which a specific macOS process or application is bugged out and stays running for prolonged periods in the background, consuming abnormally high amounts of memory or RAM.

Source: https://www.macrumors.com/2021/11/01/macos-monterey-memory-leak-user-reports/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, please post your comments also on Adobe User Voice.  Here is a post where you can vote on this topic to be addressed by Adobe and add more information for them.  

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911311-after-effects/suggestions/44654946-ram-preview-not-r...

Adobe may not be aware how many users are still finding after effects RAM previews and interface performance extremely slow on MacBook Pro M1 and M1 Max computers, and the user voice site is more closely monitored.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2022 Apr 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree preview on Macbook Pro M1 32gb RAM is basically unusable for me on even native version. I am left with returning the machine because youtubers are paid not too point out to this crucial issue. Its 4x faster previews on my 10yo PC, when previewing quater resolution same as I tried on macbook pro but it was unusable 0.2fps. This is beyond ridiculous. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have this problem. I teach After Effects, and my students are on 5 year-old imacs that are running circles around my brand new M1 laptop. It's staggeringly, astonishingly slow. Trying to use the 2D tracker - forget it. Camera tracker - impossible. I'm really glad to see I'm not the only one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try to off multiframe rendering. I do this, and my project who was render 1 hour was render for 8 minutes. Amazing ) sorry for bad english, but i think what this important.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What worked for me is to go back to the previous version. It works very well. I was not even able to preview a 5 second animation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2022 Nov 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dzsokolino, which version did you settle on?

I have the Macbook Pro 16" Max and I've tried out AE 22.3 and 23 and neither has worked for me. I had to make a quick decision on what new laptop to buy after my work laptop died and I was going to get another windows PC but all the M1 zeal persuaded me. It's a €3,500 backup computer at best. My 2018 MSI was getting ready to be replaced (before it died) but it was so much faster. Premiere works fine but really should also be faster, but AE is almost unuseable at times unless I constantly restart the computer, even then RAM preview barely works at all and it takes seconds for any change to refresh in the Comp viewer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines