• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

after effects performance regarding number of folders and items in the project

Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on a stop motion 80 minute project, and I have .dng frames dispatched into folders on the system, the whole thing is dispatched into sth like 100,000 folders.

I will do compositing with ~10 layers, per shot.

My question is about the number of After Effects projects I should work with.

The less is better for organization purposes: I would replicate the whole project system folder structure exactly. However, I wonder about performance.

Would it be mandatory to work rather with 1 project per scene (and divide by ~100) ? Or by shot (and divide again by ~10)?

Thanks.

TOPICS
Import and export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are hard limits to certain values and numbers of items in AE and while many of them have been raised again and again to accommodate certain workflows, some of them persist. There's only so much you can squeeze out of 16 bit integer math or certain string operations in strict computer terms. Latest when you reach that magic 9999 folders mark you'll be in trouble. And even if that weren't the problem, AE is simply not that great at dealing with some image formats such as Raw/ DNG, so for performance reasons alone you wouldn't want to have too many such assets in a project at the same time. They will also create enourmous caches, which could be another performance bottleneck. So by all means straighten out your project and divide it into sensible segments. AE is simply not meant to handle such complex projects on its oiwn nor is there any sensible reason to be afraid of splitting up things. Should the need arise to exchange data you can always import projects into one another, save animation presets, render reference sequences and clips, use proxies and so on. You need to educate yourself about these possibilities more than anything else.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Very interesting, thanks for the detailed advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines