• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects Render Glitches

New Here ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey yall, I have been having a problem recently when trying to render my videos in both after effects and media encoder. For some reason it shows this weird glitchy kind of screen tearing at random parts in the video (shown below). I have tried rendering with just cpu and restarting and I have cleared my cache. Also I have tried to export in ProRes as well as image sequence and quicktime. Lastly, my drivers are up to date. Please help, thank you! (The watermark in the video is because I could not re edit the clip since it was corrupted so I had to edit it on a website but that does not matter).

I am on the most recent version of After Effects and Media Encoder as well as Windows 10. 

TOPICS
Error or problem , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

This looks like low bitrate source footage not holding up to being rendered.

Transcode the source MP4 clip to a ProRes MOV file using Shutter Encoder (donation-ware, it will ask for a recommended $10 donation but will download anyway).  Check that that transcoded well without the picture breaking appart (as a ProRes clip, you may need to watch it in Adobe Bridge, Premiere Pro, After Effects, or VLC Player - anything that can decompress ProRes).  If that looks good, select the MP4 file in the A

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, are you sure the source video is okay? Those artifacts appear to already be in the game footage and look like incompletely rendered tiles from your GPU. You may just not see them until AE disects your video and slices it into discrete frames. I would recommend you check the source footage and if necessary transcode it with Handbrake or a similar toool. AE is notoriously bad with variable data rates and adaptive framerates and those tricks are very common when capturing game footage. You may want to set a fixed frame rate and such in future screen captures.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey! I know the source video is ok, in fact these glitches only show once rendering. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fair enough. Have you disabled the hardware accelerated footage decoding in the preferences under Import? If not that would be one more thing to try.

Mylenium 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a similar problem with my screen recordings.  In my case frame rate was the culprit. Does the FPS of your recordings match the comp's FPS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This looks like low bitrate source footage not holding up to being rendered.

Transcode the source MP4 clip to a ProRes MOV file using Shutter Encoder (donation-ware, it will ask for a recommended $10 donation but will download anyway).  Check that that transcoded well without the picture breaking appart (as a ProRes clip, you may need to watch it in Adobe Bridge, Premiere Pro, After Effects, or VLC Player - anything that can decompress ProRes).  If that looks good, select the MP4 file in the After Effects Project tab and use File > Replace Footage > File and select the transcoded ProRes MOV file.

As far as which version of ProRes to use goes, ProRes 422 LT is fine but if you're tight on storage space use ProRes 422 Proxy.  ProRes files are usually large compared to MP4 files, but that's part of why they are good for use as source footage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, When I tried to replace the footage it gave me this error "After Effects Error 86:1 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait nevermind, it worked after doing this (https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects-discussions/ae-cc-error-86-1/m-p/9376402#M39606) but I still have to test the render

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This ended up working! Thanks so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines