• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects Save/Import features do nothing

Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2022 Feb 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a brand new Macbook pro M1 MAX, Adobe After Effects is one of the few downloads on it. I have no plug-ins attached and the program is up to date. There are no extraneouce circumstances that should be interfering with After Effects. YET—

I cannot import files using "File" in the toolbar. I can only import files by dragging them into my project. I can work with that.

But now I cannot save. I cannot save, or save as, or anything. I tried opening a new project to force promt the "save before exiting?" window, which DID appear, but selecting "Save changes" also does nothing...In fact the new project doesn't even open unless I elect to discard the changes.

There is no error message or popup. The program just ignores me like an angry girlfriend. Am I missing something? Did I call AE's new dress fat? Did I forget our anniversary? I have two monitors, but there's no popup on either one.  Maybe AE thinks I'm cheating on the other monitor? 

If anyone knows what the heck is going on I'd appreciate your feedback...Or if you'd like to take a moment and laugh at this hilariously crippling predicament I find myself in, that's cool too...

TOPICS
Error or problem , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2022 Feb 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your post is entertaining even if your problem isn't. Can you give us more information on your setup? Are there any permissions required to write files onto your drives?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think there's a permissions issue though I could be wrong. Anytime Adobe has asked to have access to my computer I went ahead and let it to avoid this sort of problem.

The wierd thing is, it started working again at random. I was able to finish my project, but I turned it on again today and it's back to the same issue

Last time I seemed to fix it by closing the computer and forcing everything onto my second screen, then I messed with the screen resolution (and then immediately turned it back to normal). Those seems more like coincidences then steps to an actual solution. The cure doesn't seem to be repeatable either. I have a theory: Adobe IS actually opening the windows I need but in some off-screen space that I don't have access too. Is that possible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't say no to your theory. Can you test it by disconnecting the secondary monitor? If that doesn't help, try resetting the preference. Resettings the preferences will reset all the panels so all the popups and panels should be visible. If nothing works, I'd suggest repairing the permissions as instructed here or creating a new user account and testing After Effects in it.

Let us know the results.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't want to get excited because this has happened before, but resetting the preferences seems to have worked.

Thank you! (hopefully 😮 ) If the problem pops up again then I'll chime in again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for updating the thread.

Feel free to reach out.

Best,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines