• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects video glitches in preview playback and exports

Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2022 Apr 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, I can seem to find any solution to this out there and it is very puzzling and a major bummer cause it causes After Effects to be useless. I depend on After Effects for my work so I am really hoping someone out here can help. I updated to Mac Monteray and also had the most recent update of After Effect 2022 so either could be the culprit. Essentially, the playback is incredibly glitchy and then this glitch comes through on the export. See the attached video. I have tried clearing my plugins, going back to an older version of the After Effects, switching to render in software only instead of GPU, and rendering out in both media encoder and in the render queue. 

Please someone help!!

TOPICS
Error or problem , Import and export , Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Apr 15, 2022 Apr 15, 2022

Well, have you actualyl checked the recording settings of your screen capture tool? AE cannot deal with a lot of the optimizations in such CoDecs like adaptive draw regions, variable framerates and so on. Your file could potentially be salvaged by converting it in a tool like Handbrake or such, but in the long run I think more than anything else you need to straighten out your recording procedures, which could of course include GPU acceleration stuff in OS X being glitchy. Clearly if you have al

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Apr 16, 2022 Apr 16, 2022

I had this happen with the screen capture tool I was using.  Eventually I spotted that the frame rate I was recording at didn't fit into my comp's frame rate.  I was capturing 10 fps, and using AE's UK default of 25 fps.  When I switched my comp to 30 fps, AE could easily repeat each captured frame 3 times and the gltiching went away.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Apr 15, 2022 Apr 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, have you actualyl checked the recording settings of your screen capture tool? AE cannot deal with a lot of the optimizations in such CoDecs like adaptive draw regions, variable framerates and so on. Your file could potentially be salvaged by converting it in a tool like Handbrake or such, but in the long run I think more than anything else you need to straighten out your recording procedures, which could of course include GPU acceleration stuff in OS X being glitchy. Clearly if you have already exhausted all tricks in AE, the solution is not there, or at least not exclusively. Not saying that AE's terrible cache system and hardware acceleration aren't part of your pain, but check that other stuff first.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2022 Apr 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply and help. I think the problem is solved. For the screen recordings, I’m just using the native Mac screen recordings so there shouldn’t be any odd codecs or adaptive drawing. I did see that they are being auto saved at 4K so I exported them in QuickTime to standard hd which has a smaller file size. I also noticed that my disk cache had filled up again which is weird because I had purged all memory and cache a couple of times earlier in the day. I think Unity was taking up some of this disk cache and that wasn't being cleared obviously by the purge function. This time I cleared it from the Media and Disk Cache menu instead of from the edit-purge menu and I deleted the Unity cache. I also increased the allotted disk cache space for the project up to 72gb. The preview and export are now working like normal on the new smaller sized project. Thanks again for your help! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2022 Apr 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this happen with the screen capture tool I was using.  Eventually I spotted that the frame rate I was recording at didn't fit into my comp's frame rate.  I was capturing 10 fps, and using AE's UK default of 25 fps.  When I switched my comp to 30 fps, AE could easily repeat each captured frame 3 times and the gltiching went away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2022 Apr 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is another great point, you are completely right. One of the reasons the file size was so big is because Mac's native screen capture is coming in 60fps. I had pulled the video into AE and had the frame rate set to match the video, so I don't think the problem was mix matched frame rates, but I do think that having a 60fps video was much larger than I realized. I changed it to 30fps and the whole thing is working much more smoothly. Thanks so much for your help and pointing me in the direction of the frame rate. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having lots of trouble with this. I import footage and it glitches in after effects, I have tried change the fps and it still glitches. Does anyone know a way to fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2023 May 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

did you ever find a solution? currently happening

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines