• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects won't Auto-Relink MP4 files when finding misplaced footage?

New Here ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using AE for over a decade now and can't remember ever having this issue. After finishing a project, I will reduce, consolidate, collect, etc. in order to archive the project for storage. Currently, the latest version of AE 18.4.0 Build 41 running on MacOSX 10.15.7. I have noticed when relinking footage placed in a new folder, all footage types will be located automatically once the first project file has been located... except for MP4s. Excuse me, but what? I can't be the only one that has decided to rename a footage folder before, used "replace footage" on a single PNG for example, and seen all other footage be found and updated to the newly renamed folder. Well, normally this would grab all footage files, including MP4s. Now, let's say I change the MP4 location back to the original recorded in the file, and I click "Reload Footage"... well, that too will fail. A dialog box says the footage is not at the very location that it is at. The only way to restore the footage is to go through the Replace dialog for every single MP4. This is ridiculously tedious on large projects. Please fix this problem or explain a workaround. I've attached screenshots of this issue in action:

Screen Shot 2021-08-10 at 10.59.06 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-10 at 10.59.34 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-10 at 11.00.55 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-10 at 11.01.07 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-10 at 11.03.13 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-10 at 11.03.26 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-10 at 11.04.33 AM.png

TOPICS
Dynamic link , Error or problem , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a bug related to hardware accelerated functions. I believe clearing the cache before opening such a project at least fixes it temporarily.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm having this same issue with batch relinking .MP4 files. [H.264, H.265, any .MP4 extension]

Up until a couple weeks ago with the 22 update everything batch relinked fine, if the video files were in the same folder as eachother. Now I have to relink .MP4 files one by one and the whole process is slowing down my workflow a lot.

.MOV & .MPEG files batch relink w no problems, but my clients prefer me to work with .MP4 and .MOV files. But .MOV files are 4x as large and converting everything to .MPEG doesn't make sense with the workflow me and my coworkers use. 

Do you think this is a bug that will be fixed? Or should I adapt to a new workflow? Thanks in advance! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 24, 2021 Dec 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this issue, tried clearing the cache and restarting AE but still no luck... I'm using an eGPU and I wasn't last time i opened this proejct file so i'm wondering if that has anything do with this...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2022 Jan 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same issue, After Effects 22.1.1 on an iMac 5K 2017.

It completely ignores all other MP4's except for the single one you selected.

Clearing disk cache or disabling hardware acceleration did nothing.

This is unacceptable.

Adobe please fix this now!

It's been 5 months since it was reported!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This still hasn't been fixed, I guess. This is an insane bug that causes a lot of extra work for absolutely no reason. It needs to be fixed asap

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2022 Jun 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same issue, clearing cache hasn't helped. This is ridiculous. No one has time to relink HUNDREDS of files, fix this Adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue still persists for me now, nearly a year later. If anyone else found a fix, it would be greatly appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue, mij ae is fully up to date but it won't autofind. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 28, 2023 Feb 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. Remember when Adobe would actually fix bugs that users reported? The entire Creative Cloud suite is littered with bugs these days!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Incredibly frustrating that Adobe has not fixed this issue yet. I have to manually do "replace footage" for hundreds of files. Great...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 26, 2023 Apr 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed a free ScriptUI panel named RELINKER, and it worked like a charm. C'mon Adobe, stop making people come up with scripts to fix your bugs!

Download here (be sure to enter $0 as your bid, or the download link won't activate): https://ianpinder.gumroad.com/l/ae_relinker

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2023 May 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i downloaded this.. and now? how do i use this? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2023 May 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oke, also installed it but doesn't work for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2024 Jan 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still not fixed. Cleared cache, nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2024 Mar 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is rediculous. More proof that Adobe don't care at all about their longterm users. 

The entire point of using a system like After Effects is that you can come back to update a project for a client down the track. This bug makes that totally untenable. The fact that a proper re-link media option isn't even there in the first place is bad enough. There isn't the option to only display matching file names, so the potential for human error is insane. Who can sit for hours visually matching video file names??

Adobe, stop extorting users on a monthly basis for software that has serious bugs and lacks basic features that are uniform across your product line. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2024 Mar 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is rediculous. More proof that Adobe don't care at all about their longterm users. 

The entire point of using a system like After Effects is that you can come back to update a project for a client down the track. This bug makes that totally untenable. The fact that a proper re-link media option isn't even there in the first place is bad enough. There isn't the option to only display matching file names, so the potential for human error is insane. Who can sit for hours visually matching video file names??

Adobe, stop extorting users on a monthly basis for software that has serious bugs and lacks basic features that are uniform across your product line. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines