• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects Zoom More than 400%

Enthusiast ,
Feb 02, 2022 Feb 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know there are workarounds here, but man oh man how is it still limited only to 400%? What happens when you need to get really fine tuned on an 8k comp? Woof. 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, unfortunately not and given how the renderer works I would not expect it to change any time so. In order to allow this it would have to support tiles or other forms of spatial segmentation or else it just blows any computer out of the water no matetr how much memory you have once the buffers exceed a certain size...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So crazy. It means that making masks on something like this is a massive pain:

canvokey_0-1643839404612.png

Only work around I've found is to duplicate the comp, reduce its size, do the masks and then bring it back over to the original comp. Crazy. You can also temporarily scale that comp and its mask layer. 

Doing it with the copy method means in this particular example, I can go up to 800%. This obviously doesn't work if you have a mask layer over the whole comp and need to fine tune stuff. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 25, 2023 Mar 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Love that I just searched for this... again and this is still the top post! Woof. This is particularly annoying when doing stamp work. Haven't found a work around that solves for this issue. Bummmmmmer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do your masking work using Mocha AE. It has better tools, the tracking is more accurate, you can zoom in to the pixel level, and if you have Mocha Pro, you also have access to automatic edge snapping, and you can then export masks, generate a matte, or do a bunch of other things that are not possible using the simple mask you can generate using the masking tools. If the shot is moving, you can even motion stabilize the view in Mocha while you are working with a single click.

RickGerard_1-1679757755965.gif

I'm not sure what you are trying to do with your sample shot, but that is a perfect image for a procedural matte if you need to isolate the windows. No masking required. Just a copy of the footage with a little color correction used as a track matte for an effect. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As usual - Great call, Rick.

I do use Mocha when my masking gets particularly complex but never put two and two together that I could use it for simple masks, too. Usually too lazy to coordinate with Mocha unless it's absolutely necessary. But now I've printed to memory - even for static masks you have that zoom level that you need, if you need it, in Mocha.

That said, clone stamping is still an issue. I know I can export frames to PSDs and do it in there. This will give me zoom to pixel. BUT I find going back and forth through frames is essential for a good stamp technique. Possible but not as quick or as easy to do in photoshop.

Any ideas on that one? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines