• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AfterEffects keeps crashing whenever I collect files.

Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time I try to collect files, AfterEffects freezes and stops responding. I have tried this with the latest version v22.2 and v 18.4.4. Both have the same issue. I've also tried using different AE files to ensure my file is not corrupted. Please help

TOPICS
Error or problem , Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

I have the same exact issues. I'm running Mac Os 12.0. Apple M1 pro chip. After Effects 2022 version 22.2.1 (Build 3). When saving to my computer it just copies some of the files and freezes.

What does work is if I collect files adn save to an external hardrive.

Please fix asap. Thx!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Hey @Joseph241885944ea6 . Thank you so much! you save my life) Collecting to the external drive works well for me also!!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, we’re sorry about this.

Can you let us know your system details(OS, CPU, RAM, GPU)? Are there any specific error codes or messages? Where are your file saved (external, internal, or shared)?

Let us know. We’re here to help!

Thanks. ^Kartika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Kartika

I'm on a PC

Processor: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X 24-Core Processor 3.79GHz

RAM: 128GB

System type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

No error message, just hangs and in the window says "Not Responding"

Files are saved on an internal hard drive. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot to mention that I'm on Windows 10 Pro version 20H2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for your issue, 21923309h11k and thanks for the details.

Could you try removing the third-party plug-ins that you're using? If that doesn't help, try changing the permissions as instructed in the following article: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/x-productkb/multi/preferences-folder-read-only-error.html

Let us know the outcome.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Nishu! I uninstalled RG Universe (subscription), and it worked. 

Would the best workaround be to uninstall the plug-in, then collect files and re-install after? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 25, 2022 Feb 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for trying and updating the thread.

Definietly that's not the best workaround. Would you mind contacting the Red Giant support and see if they are aware of any known issue at their end or they can help in fixing it.

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @nishu_kush I have the same problem on Macbook M1 Pro Max. And have no third-party plug-ins, only some scripts. I uninstalled all scripts - but it doesn't helped. Also checked your second recomendation and all that folders have "read and write". So I don't know what to do... Do you have any other suggestions?? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Misha,

Thanks for writing in.

What's the exact version of After Effects you're using? Are you using the 22.3? What error do you see when you try to collect files?

Let us know.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2022 Apr 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nishu, Thanks for quick answer!

Yes, I just updated AE to 22.3 but it still freezes up when I'm trying to collect project. I also tried it on more old versions and even on 22.4(beta version), but got thae same problem

I do not see any error AE just freezes on copying files. 

Misha240272674n6z_0-1650102089264.png

And there is a strange thing: AE copying around 5-10 small files and after that feezes. If the project is small with only few small files - AE collecting it without problems, but on more complex projects with more than 10 files it stucks...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2022 Apr 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting the exact same issue too. Updated to the latest version of AE & still getting the issue. Really annoying. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey @Spahny11 did you fix that or still not? What machine and OS do you have?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same exact issues. I'm running Mac Os 12.0. Apple M1 pro chip. After Effects 2022 version 22.2.1 (Build 3). When saving to my computer it just copies some of the files and freezes.

What does work is if I collect files adn save to an external hardrive.

Please fix asap. Thx!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @Joseph241885944ea6 . Thank you so much! you save my life) Collecting to the external drive works well for me also!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

I've tried collecting my files serveral times and it keeps popping out "after effects error: collect files failed error encountered while copying file". Tried reducing my files but it' doesn't works too. Could you guys help me out here?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi badabink,

That's strange! Sorry for your issue.

Could you try changing the permissions as instructed in the following article: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/x-productkb/multi/preferences-folder-read-only-error.html

If it doesn't help, try creating a new user account on your computer and test After Effects in it.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nishu,

I tried the method already and it’s still the same. When I click “Collect” it will hold onto the copy file for about 10mins and then the error box will appear. (Refer attachment below)

May I know what's happening? Cause I don’t understand why is there an error collecting the files when I reduce a lot of files on my end

Hope to hear from you soon, cause it’s pretty urgent.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for getting back.

Another area I can think of which can cause such issues is if After Effects has a problem accessing the particular location. It is common in the case of shared location but happens with internal and external storage too.

Try changing the location of the files that are being used in the project. Also, try changing the location where you're trying to collect the project.

Let us know the results.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! 

May I ask if you have resovled this issue? As I am currently facing the same one right now, what is stated above and it did not work. Please help. 😞 

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try uninstall and install back your current version of AE. It works for me after I did that. Do let me know how it goes!

Cheers,

Sean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you badabink! I've tried that too it didn't work for me, I also tried downgrading it as well.

Adobe please help. 😞

Thank you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same issue as badabink described! 

and the solution is not working. 
I even tried downgrading my AE to an old version. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe please help! 
all the files are on the desktop for a month already. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry for the delay.

Have you tried creating a new user account and testing After Effects in it?

Let us know the results.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines