Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Animation with bend cutting at edge of screen

Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2023 Mar 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I've got a tree with slant and bender on it and i've noticed that where it bends away from the side of the screen it is cut.

I've got the composition in another scene and have it zoomed in, and even here it's cutting away from the sides even though i'm zoomed into the middle of it.

I've uploaded the project folder (composition structure is "Nature" - "pre-comp1" - "Scene 1 - Late SM Nature - Rear" - "Tree"):

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1h_sO1sXPUU-BM9Bryrt34oZzME_Nqrwq?usp=share_link

How come this is happening?

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your AI artwork has part of the tree extending past the edge of the artboard. That's causing a cut.

You also have inconsistent collapse transformation switches. Open Pre-comp 1 and turn off collapse transformations on layer 3.

I didn't dig any farther than that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, turned collapse transformations off does fix it but i've left that on to stop the vector artwork from being blurry. How else could I preserve the sharpness without going in and manually scaling it all up in the AI files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2023 Mar 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The biggest problem is the comp structure. I would start by fixing the AI file by making the artboard much bigger. 2X the final comp size would be a good place to start for a design like this. You could also simplify the comp structure significantly. 

You've created a catch-22 problem with the pre-comps and collapse transformations that is cropping the edge when you collapse transformations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2023 Mar 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found your problem. For some reason, it's the Slider control with the wiggle expression in the "Scene 1 - Late SM Nature - Rear" comp on the Tree layer. Move the slider control up a layer, and the problem goes away. Move it back down, and the edge gets created. For some reason, the combination of layer order and the two effects on the Tree layer that are being driven by an expression on the slider cause the edges to shift. 

The best solution is to fix the AI file by moving the tree inside the artboard, moving the tree a few pixels into the frame, or putting the wiggle expressions directly inside the effects instead of tying them to a slider.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 15, 2023 Mar 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect, i'll give that a go, thanks for investigating for me and replying, I really appreciate it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 15, 2023 Mar 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hmm, I moved the AI artwork into the frame, then imported it into the top "Nature" comp, but adjusting the slant or bend on the tree directly cause it to cut off if collapse transformations is on. I think i'm just going to save a high res version and use that, it's much less hassle...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines