• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Any Idea how to track a giant chalk pencil and leave the chalk line behind?

New Here ,
Mar 13, 2023 Mar 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Cant figure out the best way to track this moving pencil leaving a chalk line behind... anyone out there know a tutorial? Every search I do points to things written using the text tool which wont work for me 😞 CHalk.JPGChalk 2.JPG

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 13, 2023 Mar 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would track that giant pencil in Mocha AE using translation, scale, skew, position the center mark for the surface right at the tip of the pencil, then apply the tracking data to the null. You can then turn that motion path to a mask or shape layer path or use it on a Paintbrush.  Using Mocha AE will give you a lot better track and work faster than AE's built in Feature (not point but feature) tracker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was up so late last night trying to figure this out, and had already tracked the tip of the pen using motion tracking and added it to a null... then like a boss (and several coffees laer, I found a tutorial on using the "Write-On" effect, coppied and pasted in the tracking marks from the tip of the pen and hey presto the y was there!

I then used the new Write-On effect as a reverse Matt over a blended chalk background. Hey presto... it worked! 
I was then left Roto Brushing the forklift to lay back over the video so that it drove over the letters already made. 

A happy but very tired camper today. 

Thanks a Mill Rick!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you wanted to go really fancy you'd use a §D plane tracked to the scene and write on that, though there's no easy way to convert the coordinates from 3D in the scene to 2D on the plane.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think thats WAAAAYYYY above my beginners paygrade!  😳

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines