• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Anything similar to "Wiggle Paths" for non-Shape layers?

Explorer ,
Feb 04, 2023 Feb 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going for a paper cut-out look like Ben Marriott's video here, and i think its perfect for shape layers but I have a png sequence I also want to apply the same look and feel to.

I've tried Turbulent Displace and Roughen edges effects, but no matter how much i play with the settings and styles, the edges are always more rounded than the sharp zig-zag type look i need. The closest I can get is changing the Edge type on Roughen Edges to "Spiky" and playing with the settings but it's still not quite right.  Are there any further effects I can try? 

Thanks!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Feb 04, 2023 Feb 04, 2023

Following on from Mylenium's advice i got something really really close to what I wanted, it was pretty simple and im satisfied. 🙂 Incase anyone else also finds they want to do the same thing:

I duplicated my png sequence and added these effects in this order: Fill, Turbulent Displace, Wave Warp, Duplicated Wave warp.
The two wave warps were both set to triangle, quite wide and very low height. The second wave warp just went in the opposite direction so the effect would "cover" all edges of the

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Wave distortion effect has a zig-zag mode and multiple waves ov erlapping creates soem randomness. And of course you can also use this methodology to create custom displacment patterns in a pre-comp to be fed into Displacment Map effects in the parent comp. Likewise, you can then use the shape layer stuff to create such maps just as you can repeat all sorts of spiky shapes with Repetile, Motion Tile, CC Kaleida. I guess the real point is to not get strung up trying to do this directly and to invest some time.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I suppose its best to try something a little more custom and built-from-scratch then! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Following on from Mylenium's advice i got something really really close to what I wanted, it was pretty simple and im satisfied. 🙂 Incase anyone else also finds they want to do the same thing:

I duplicated my png sequence and added these effects in this order: Fill, Turbulent Displace, Wave Warp, Duplicated Wave warp.
The two wave warps were both set to triangle, quite wide and very low height. The second wave warp just went in the opposite direction so the effect would "cover" all edges of the png seq. I added  random and posterizeTime expressions to the Phase property on the wave warps to get the boiling paper cut out feel.

The turbulent displace helped the zig zags on the wave warps look less even and more random. 
I used this layer as an alpha for my original png sequence! The effect is extremely subtle though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines