• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Apply glow to image that bleeds off screen

Contributor ,
Jan 13, 2023 Jan 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to apply a glow to a person in a clip. I used the roto brush to determine the edges but part of the person is off-screen (from the waist down). The roto brush seems to end at the edge of the image so it looks like the glow goes across the person's waist but I need it to not show at the bottom of the screen (does that make sense?) because the peron is supposed to be glowing, so the glow wouldn't show at their waist (see attachment). Should I be creating this with the roto brush or should I be using a different tool to roto?

I'm using the newest version of AE on an M1 iMac.

Thanks for your help.

Lloyd

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pre-compose the roto work. Duplicate the resulting layer and slightly push down the position behind the person to extend the bottom. Change the composition size to accommodate the trickery. Apply the glow and pre-compose once more into a comp with the original size to crop everything away.

Mylenium 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mylenium,

Was that English...LOL. I'm still learning the intracacies of After Effects, so I'll give this a shot. Is there any other way to roto, maybe with a path?

Lloyd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mylenium,

Thanks, that worked.

Lloyd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, one more easy question...is there a way to change the tolerance of the roto brush like in Photoshop? There's not a lot of contrast in the clip...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 14, 2023 Jan 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No. Rotobrush has no "tolerance" because it isn't a selection tool like the ones in PS. All that matters to RB is the differences in motion across frames and the underlying synthesized vector field. If it doesn't produce good results you will need to complement or replace it with conventional masking.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines