Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Auto Select Path Points - Can't Drag Select

New Here ,
Dec 04, 2017 Dec 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Since I've installed AE 2018, whenever I try to drag-select several points on a path I created from a shape, it automatically selects the closest point/side of the shape and moves it (even when I click outside the selected shape). Does anyone know how can I turn this option off?

Thanks!

Omer.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 04, 2017 Dec 04, 2017

This sounds more like user error than a feature.

If you have created shapes with the parametric tools (Rectangle, Ellipse, Polygon ...) then you must convert the parametric shapes to a bezier path before you can edit the points.

To edit path points on a shape layer or mask you should have the pen tool selected(g). Trying to use the selection tool to edit vector paths is ineffective and frustrating.

Use the Ctrl/Cmnd and Alt/Option keys as modifiers.

If one point, multiple points, or no points are

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2021 Dec 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is still ongoing 22.0.1. If there are keframes on a shape layer you cannot correctly select multiple points or draw a selection point to select multiple points.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2022 Mar 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also found the issue in 2022 version, but looks like we don't have to remove keyframes but only need to remove

expression if any added to the layer, then the ability to edits paths become available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the actual solution - turn 'fx' off for the layer that has the mask (in the layer options area on the left, 4th option from the left), you will be able to drag, or 'marquee' select vertices again.  Turn 'fx' back on, and you will be back to this annoying not-able-to-drag-select issue that everyone has been having.  Can not actually believe that someone was adamant this was a mouse/display driver error.  No matter how long you have been working with a particular software, keep your mind open to new issues, different workflows that may require new solutions. I would suggest that the other user has never experienced this as it was simply not a part of their workflow.  For me the issue was Animation Composer transition presets, but I think any expression-controlled layer effect or system may cause the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bro you're jenius!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2023 Apr 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no effects on the layer I am having this issue with. This may fix it in your case but it does not fix this if you dont have an "FX" to turn off.

BUG FIXES BEFORE NEW FEATURES PLEASE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines