• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Avid Media Composer to After Effects Color Darkening on Import

New Here ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a lot of trouble with color space across Avid and AE. My goal is to export a series of subclips from Avid, import into After Effects, assemble compositions, export from After Effects, and load back into Avid. I quickly realized that with each import/export, the footage got darker. 

Here is as much specific information that I can provide: 

Avid Media Composer - Color Space RGB 709. Clip source settings -> source color space [full range], Color Adapter: Levels scaling (full range to video levels). Clip export, Output color space Rec.709, Video Levels: Keep as Legal Range. 

Importing that clip back into Avid yields no color errors, no matter the import color setting (full range or legal). 

After Effects (Up to date as of time of posting) - Working Space: None. Assume Working Gamma: 2.4 (Rec.709). Clip import, and the footage is now darker. My luck so far with changing the working space only makes the footage darker. Exporting this and importing back into Avid maintains the darkening. 

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New info - I attempted importing the raw file (.braw) into After Effects. Upon import, same darkening, and it stays in the export. So, the probelm is from importing any clip into After Effects. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

More new info - importing the darkened clip into Avid and adding the color adapter "Levels scaling (full range to video levels)" fixes the darkened levels. 

Importing the darkened clip back into after effects does not yield an even darker import. 

Good news is that I can move forward, but this odd darkening of color space is still costing me time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines