Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Banding on playback only

Engaged ,
Jan 18, 2022 Jan 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

since I started using AE CC2022 I've got a never seen before issue.
I get 8-bit banding only on playback (still frame when paused is displaying correctly).

This happens with imported footage, glows on shapes, everything.

I assume it's not linked to the content and/or file type.

Also tested in Premiere 2022 on the same workstation and the issue is not present.

Here's the banding (during playback):
during playbackduring playback

Hitting pause the frame is displayed correctly:

still frame on pausestill frame on pause

These are my project settings. Also, changing to "none" doesn't fix the problem.

project settingsproject settings

Here are also Nvidia control panel settings:

andymario_0-1642504567632.png

Maybe I'm overlooking some setting somewhere, I never had this problem before CC2022 and I didn't change my workflow or workstation settings (not that I remember).

TOPICS
Error or problem , Performance , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

UPDATE:
I accidentally found what was causing this, it's "Color Management Quality" in "Preferences > Previews".
Setting it on "more accurate" solved the problem.

screenshot.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jan 18, 2022 Jan 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and what are the actual system color management settings? None of this makes any sense without proper calibration aside from your attempt at enforcing 10 bit probably exhausting resources or causing soem weird quirk in the internal pipelien of the GPU driver, including weirder stuff like HDMI timing issues, the GPU switching to lower internal precision and whatnot. I really think you'll be served better by switching to default color settings and not going crazy on this until you realyl know what's going on by e.g. installing the NVidia live debugger to see what the pipeline does. Of course there's always the chance a simple swiutch somewhere could fix things, but you have not provided any info about your system, your settings in AE, your project, your cache and so on.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mylenium, thanks for the reply.

I managed to remove the banding on playback, the only way I found is to turn AE color management OFF (none), or untick "view > use display color management".

- Display is true 10-bit so that's the 10-bit settings in the Nvidia settings (as I know you need to force it in the nvidia panel to get 10-bit output from Windows otherwise will always output 8bit by default).

- Using factory sRgb preset on the display, which is quite accurate (tested with my probe and displaycal). Not looking for 100% standard so I'm happy with that without having to mess with calibrations.

- Output is via displayport (1.2 so supports 10-bit@100hz).

But the same issue happens also switching to "default color settings" and removing all "forced" nvidia settings, so maybe color profile or nvidia settings are not part of the problem.

The issue happens with all kinds of projects/resolutions, so the specific project I've exported the frame from is not relevant.

I usually work at 1080p / 25fps / 32bit, color management settings sRgb (linear off) as posted above.
I add linear if I'm working with linear .exrs exported from cinema.

But even in an empty project if I add a simple glow on a square, banding when hitting "play" still happens.

I used this setup for the last two years without that issue.

I can get away with CM off, but since only recently I got this problem, I'm trying to troubleshoot.

Windows 11 display settings

andymario_0-1642585575627.png

I didn't think that cache or ae settings can be part of the problem, here's the settings.

Cache is on a separate dedicated m.2 drive

andymario_1-1642585695529.png

I'm not an expert in color management of course, this is my understanding after many years of trial and error to find the most suitable settings for my setup and kind of work.

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

UPDATE:
I accidentally found what was causing this, it's "Color Management Quality" in "Preferences > Previews".
Setting it on "more accurate" solved the problem.

screenshot.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines