Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Basic Colorspace setup for mixed sources

Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I was just wondering if dealing with media sources from various color profiles, S-Log, V-Log, sRGB, etc to all be composited, would it be "standard" or at least a common workflow to:

1. Set Working Space to : Rec.709 Gamma 2.4,
  2. 'Check' Linearize Working Space
  3. For each clip: Interpret Footage -> Assign Profile and pick whatever Log/profile the footage/media is in
  4. Do the compositing
  5. Pick an Output Profile: In my case I picked V-Log for grading in my color grading app, since most of the clips were V-Log

The final render would and should look like a flat V-Log composite, correct?

Is this workflow correct for the desired output?

Are there any other workflows or steps to consider for just a BASIC composite like this?

Thank you!!

TOPICS
FAQ , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not found the proper link for Linearize Working Space. The key word would be OpenColor IO (OCIO) and ACES. You check these words with After Effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The location is Project Settings -> Color -> Linearize Working Space, it will be grayed uout when Working Space is set not 'None'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sur what you're realyl asking. Seems you've figured out your workflow already. Arguably you could forego some footage interpretation steps on some footage types depending on what color space you use, but that's pretty much the only "optimization" and simplification. With log/ Cineon sources you don't have much choice, though.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wanted to check if the workflow makes sense, thanks Mylenium for the additiona insight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2022 Jan 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

adding this relavant tutorial here for those who are interested 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHY5rMnBUz8&lc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines