Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Binary to text Effect

New Here ,
Jun 03, 2019 Jun 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m awful at Explaining, but I’m going to at least try

To be clear, I am an After Effects Beginner so complex things will definately go over my head.

I want to be able to do an effect where Binary numbers become text

Let me give you an example

Hello in binary is: 01001000 01100101 01101100 01101100 01101111

So that means 01001000 transforms into H, 01100101 transforms into e, 01101100 transforms into l, 01101100 transforms into l and 01101111 transforms into o.

I’m not after some Matrix like effect, but like each binary “code” slowly changes into the letter it makes.

I know it seems like I havent explained it too well, but I tried, if you know exactly what I mean, then please PM or reply.

Thank you for your time.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m not after some Matrix like effect, but like each binary “code” slowly changes into the letter it makes.

And how specifically? Morphing? Letters moving into positions? Something more fancy. There's a million methods that would fit your rather generic description. it would be more useful if you actually provided a link to an example of what you're actually looking for or else we'll be discussing this forever.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thinkthe MW2 intro sort of effect, but the binary code slowly morphs into the letter that it makes.

I knew I sucked at explaing it accurately

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The easiest way I can think of is:

- Create two layers, one with your binary text (animated if needed) and then create a layer of your final text. Your text layers will need to be monospaced font to avoid the binary numbers jumping around or not matching the final characters.

- use an animated mask to reveal each letter of the final text while hiding the binary character. This movement of the mask needs to be hold keyframes s that partial characters aren't revealed between keyframes.

Hope this helps,

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, I’m a beginner, I have not learned to use keyframe animation in after effects, or any of the other things you noted, I barely managed to learn how todo a 5 minute countdown timer in after effects, something I could have just done using 300 individual pictures each representing 1 second going from 5:00 to 0:00, but I didn’t want to create 300 individual pictures for a simple countdown.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before you can get advice on making the effect, you need a good idea of how it's going to look -- what you want the viewer to see.

Do you start with a God-awful long line of ones and zeros that become a word?  How do they become a word?  Do they turn into clumps of digits that slide together, and a letter emerges from each clump?  Are they separate lines of digits, each representing the letter?

Until you have a image of how it will look, it's tough for people to tell you how to proceed.  I recommend drawing it out on paper -- the time-honored process of storyboarding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way i see it is, it’s the binary code of the word, and the numbers change into the word, let me try to find something close to what I mean.

Random numbers transition to text - YouTube

Something a little like that but the binary code changes into the word the code actually makes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IDGam3r  wrote

it’s the binary code of the word, and the numbers change into the word

I think that part is understood.

The difference is that you're wanting to transform 8 characters into 1 character, right?  So what Dave and others are asking is for you to come up with some idea of how you want 8 characters to become 1 character?  Understand? You keep saying you want the line of numbers to become the words but what you're being asked is how are you visualizing, for example, the 44 characters in the code for the word "hello" transforming into 5?  For example, if I were going to do your thinking for you I might ask you: do you want for them to smush together into one character?  Do you want them to smush to the left? To the right? To the center? Or maybe you want blocks (matrices) of the 8 digits that become the 1 larger character?  Or maybe you're thinking something totally clever and out of the box?  What's YOUR vision?  Where are you headed?  If you're not sure than maybe your time would be better spent learning how to use key frame animation in After Effects as you said that something that you don;t know.    Knowing how to use key frames is something all the cool kids know how to do.   After Effects tutorials | Learn how to use After Effects     Create and animate text |

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2019 Jun 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I can do keyframe animation, only in a Minecraft Animation Software called Mine-Imator, but thats off topic.

In my head the binary code consistently changes, and slowly forms the word ”Hello”(or whatever word I choose)

In a relatively similar way to how the Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare pre-mission text goes(It‘s complete gibberish but “unscrambles” into readable words)

Like I said, I suck at explaining

(Pay no attention to the text underneath, It’s completely irrelevant to the main topic)

And I have tried learning After Effects, but as is the case with learning everything, I hate having to spend time ”Learning”, when I would just prefer to know how to do it all right then and there, it also goes without saying After effects has so much I need to learn, it makes me doubt myself as to whether I would be able to remember everything off by heart.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines