• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

BRAW FILE PROBLEM

Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2021 Aug 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to import some braw video files on to my after effects but they seem to be greyed out.

Does anyone have experience in overcoming this hurdle?

TOPICS
Error or problem , How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have the latest version of After Effects and is your operating system up to date?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2021 Aug 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah my suite is completely up to date as well as my system

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the Blackmagic RAW files Generation5?  If so, that requires the newest version of Adobe software.

Do the files open in Premiere Pro as expected? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nah I can import any of the files, whats so ever 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

In order to import BRAW files in AfterEffects (or PremierePro), you need to install a third party plugin. There are 2 available plugins which allow you this : the BlackmagicDesign (BMD) plugin and the BRAW Studio plugin. 

The BMD plugin is free. In AfterEffects you will only be able to import your files though, and not change the Source Settings. It is for basic use so. You can download it from here (You need to install the "Blackmagic RAW" : https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/

The BRAW Studio plugin is not free, but it has the "Layer Settings" effect in After Effects. If you apply it to a BRAW Studio element in your composition, you will be able to change all its "Source Settings" so exposure, white balance, color science V4/V5, LUT, Gamut and Gamma, etc ... 

You will also have some of the metadata BRAW file like Scene/Shot/Take in the "comment" section.

Applying the Layer Settings brings better performances in After Effects than just having it in the importer ! And it can uses 100% of the GPU ! 

You can get more information and test BRAW Studio here : https://www.autokroma.com/BRAW_Studio

Best,

Nicolas from Autokroma

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2022 Jun 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These links are just attempts to get you into their website. They are not interested in guiding you to the plugin you seek, they just want you to read all their articles and sell their software. There is no search field and no downloads page for plugins. 
I spent half an hour trying to find a simple download button. Which i didnt find. I found two rather dubious alternatives: 1. a download for a file that might be correct, but it was hard to know untill I got a subscription. And 2. a download for a bundle of some sort that require me to install a .exe file. which Im pretty confident will require a subscription of sorts and a lot more advertisement. Stay clear is my advise!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what you are seeing on your end, but the link in the post that you are replying to goes directly to the page to either purchase the plugin or download the free trial.

The post also clearly states that the “BRAW Studio plugin is not free”.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.. I suppose I was a bit hasty, after being very slow at trying to find the free file.
They stated that the BMD is free and that it could be downloaded from the link provided. I suppose i got a bit confused about the subscription part. But yeah, my "review" is probably of less value and should be removed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, it sounds like you're experiencing an understandable confusion:

• There's the BMD plugin from Blackmagic Design which is free, or free-ish.  It requires providing contact information.
  • Then there's BRAW Studio from Autokroma.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats correct. They have also named the file you need to download for the BMD "Blackmagic RAW". which in my mind got mixed up with the similar "BRAW Studio". Im a bit on the fence on wether im a dumb*** or not. Probably. And in my first post too. Hopefully i'll learn.
(also from my previous post: "registration", not "subscription")

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 28, 2022 Jun 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry that was not the purpose of my message. The Blackmagic plugin download button is not easy to find in their website, and it needs registration indeed. On our Autokroma website in the BRAW Studio page there is a big button at the top for downloading, and it doesn't require any registration !

Also note that BRAW Studio has now a FREE mode, which has all the features inside the BMD plugin without some problems/bug (like Relink High Res Media, Project Manager Copy, etc ..). So there is no more advantage to use the Blackmagic plugin.  

Best,

Nicolas from Autokroma

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 19, 2023 Mar 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A "free mode" with a red cross 😄 ... thx for nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @pat pro , the red cross is only present in After Effects if you are using the BRAW Studio Layer Settings effect. BRAW files are still imported without red cross for free ! 

You can also

• grade your footage with the Layer Settings (with the red cross)
  • click on "Update Sidecar"
  • Disable Layer Settings effect
  • Clean AE Cache and restart AE => The importer will have the good look you gave it in the Layer Settings without the red cross on it. 

All the feature you can find in the Free Blackmagic Plugin are also free in BRAW Studio, and more ! (Less bug, more little features). 
Best,

Nicolas from Autokroma

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) Why should I use to import BRAW Studio if I don't use the Layer Setting Effect?

2) If I can really use the Effect with this complicated restart/cache rest process why you make that the red cross? 

I would love to see a native way to use BRAW in After Effects like in Premiere (with Color Science Settings, ISO und K Controls)  - don't get why it doesn't work in AE like there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@pat pro 

That's a question for Blackmagic Design.  BRAW is their format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think, that's a question to Adobe because Premiere has full BRAW Support. Why not AE???

--
Diese Nachricht wurde von meinem Android Mobiltelefon mit GMX Mail gesendet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 28, 2023 Mar 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this since years. You can import BRAWs with it but everything looks flat because you can't set the correct color Science, Color Space and have no controll over ISO, Whitebalnce like you have in Premiere Pro or every other Compositing Tool I know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2023 Mar 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Other than Limitri Color which has been in After Effects for as long as it's been in Premiere Pro and ACES, what else would you like to see? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 29, 2023 Mar 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A option to convert your BRAW right (like in Premiere or Davici or Nuke)

Set the right Color Science, Gamma, Color Space, and have full controll over the ISO, Color Temperatur, Tin etc. 

BM-RAW Master Clip.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines