• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bug (?) in expression editor

New Here ,
Apr 01, 2020 Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently using After Effects 17.0.5 and I've probably ran through a bug that won't fix by itself.

It happened when I opened an aep. file that a friend of mine sent me, I was going to check the expressions he used for some animations and when I attempted to change it the editor was shown as a huge text block with no letters. I decided to close the project and create a new one (after closing After Effects completely) and the problem was still there. I checked in "Preferences" > "Scripting & Expressions" and found out this is definetily something like a bug, nothing seems to be changed and the example expression editor box looks like this.

ExpressionBug.PNG

And the program also crashed when I clicked in the Expression Editor from the Preferences window.

Is this a common problem? And how could I fix it without having to download a previous version?

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Expressions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 02, 2020 Apr 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without a screenshot of the actual expression code and critical info like your system, language settings, what expression engine is used and so on nobody can tell you much. chances are your friend used some weird code construct and it messed up the enginhe. Start by reinstalling AE and trashing the prefs entirely.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've discovered this bug today on AE 17.7.0 and 16.1.3. It happens when I just try to click in the expression area without anything even in there, it's not tied to some weird expression. In 17 it will totally freeze and crash if I try to click in the text box area on the preferences screen he shows up there.

Attached is a screenshot of the window after clicking alt and position (AE creates the placeholder - transform.position)  and the next image is what displays when you try to click into it, that white line is actually a massive cursor line. This is after I reset the preferences for AE v16.1.3, which another post suggested. I am running dual screens and tried this on both, but that doesn't seem to affect things at all. Also, both versions of AE claim they are the latest version. Hope someone can help, this bug makes working with expressions almost impossible. Thanks!

AfterFX_FgfQB5JcgQ.png

AE 16 with buggy expression editor

AfterFX_ESwFUOQpRZ.png

AE 17 frozen

Y9yuCht3qY.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've run into the same error. I'm using AE 17.7.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Issue seems to have started when I versioned up Windows to 20H2.

Today I ran the updates available in Windows Update and one of those seems to have fixed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines