• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Camera rotates instead of moving (AE CS6)

Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I attempt to animate the camera path close to a 3D object (Element 3D)  by creating 2 simple keyframes, the camera rotates instead of moving.All values for position are changing, yet rotation values are all 0.

This is a first time I encounter something like this.

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Oct 22, 2022 Oct 22, 2022

Talk about own stupidity. I did not keyframe point of interest of Two-Node camera.
Just made a pan with Two-Node Camera using corrections and it worked.

Thank you all for taking your time on my behalf.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To figure out the problem, we need to see embedded* screenshots showing the modified properties of Element and your camera. Select both layers, press the U key twice and drag your screenshot to the reply field on the forum, then describe your workflow in detail. It is probably just a user error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As requested:
Not excluding the possibility of me accidentally hitting a key somewhere that would enable/disable something.
Timeline_Screenshot.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's calles gimbal lock and a simple math problem. Add at least one more keyframe that slightly curves the motion path to stabilize tha interpolation.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will try now. Strange that camera did not require it before....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2022 Oct 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried without any luck - sideways pan with 3 keyframes total just produced a rotation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just checked few old animations and moved the camera. The problem persists - where previously camera was panning sideways it now only rotates. Since older projects use 2D planes as 3D objects, I don't believe this problem is caused by Element 3D.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are using a 2 node camera. Try to change to a 1 node camera to avoid the pont of interest to stay "static".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Two-Node Camera indeed. Will try with One-Node and see if it makes any difference.
On a side note, I tried a rig with camera+null, and I could make the camera pan, though it made camera a bit too rigid and added more overhead to positioning

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One-Node camera did the trick - movement is properly keyframed. Orientation properly keyframes angles. Rotation remains zeroed, but perahps it is not supposed to change when using camera orbit tool?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. A simple sideways pan should not expose this behavior indeed. Have you updated your graphics hardware or driver recently? Maybe it's some internal error with soem matrix functions. Does everything look okay inside the E3D editor?

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated drivers indeed, about 1 week ago. During that week everything worked fine, until about 2 days ago when AE crashed during a render (processing too heavy for the hardware). Though this time it hang in a memory and did not give any error message.
Following that Element would not start (was fixed by copying the OpenCL.dll into system32).
That's when the problem occured, but it's not limited to Element - just checked my faux 3D from 2D anim and the behaviour is exactly the same.

Not entirely sure what to look for inside Element 3D editor. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is funny about it, is that when I set initial keyframe, then scrub, pan the camera and set destination keyframe, the rotation is appearing at initial keyframe and not destination.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Talk about own stupidity. I did not keyframe point of interest of Two-Node camera.
Just made a pan with Two-Node Camera using corrections and it worked.

Thank you all for taking your time on my behalf.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Feel the need to jump in once again - the camera was not the only issue, now the rendering sporadically stops writing output file. I have a feeling this is related to the crash I mentioned.
Just a quick question: does resetting the preferences in AE works same as in Photoshop? Or would there be need for installation repair?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's more likely that your graphics driver settings are messed up after the crash. I would go into the device manager, completely uninstall the driver, reboot and have Windows reinstall it automatically. And yes, of course you can simply delete the prefs and AE will create fresh ones as well.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 29, 2022 Oct 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Cheers! Will do!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines