Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Can a comp be passed from AE to AME (where AME is on a separate server from AE) via ExtendScript?

Explorer ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all;
I’ve developed a system that cranks out thousands of short videos. Currently, I have AE and AME on the same computer. I use ExtendScript to:
  • create a comp from various components

• pop that comp into the AE render queue : 

app.project.renderQueue.items.add(app.project.item(indexMain_Comp))

• using BridgeTalk, AME is started if it isn’t already running

if (!BridgeTalk.isRunning(mediaEncoderName)){ 
BridgeTalk.launch(mediaEncoderName); 
}

• call on AME to render the comp: 

app.project.renderQueue.queueInAME(true);

This all works out fine.

My Q: Can AME run on a separate server? In the code above (where I'm using BridgeTalk to start AME), how would BridgeTalk know if AME is on a separate server?

(Note: watch folders will not work for me) Thanks!

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In theory probably yes, but in practice it's unlikely. You'd have to monitor a ton of ports and connections, figure out the shared cache handling and temp files and on top of it it would all be hyper sensitive to the slightest network timing issues. A single missed frame/ packet and everything stops. Also of course you would still have to ensure the actual install is in place, all plug-ins work, all fonts are synced and so on. I don't think it's feasible on any rational level and if it is, at least the amount of work and resources needed to keep it running will multiply.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Mylenium! 

It occurred to me there will also be quite the hit to bandwidth as the artifacts (Video and audio clips, imagery etc.) would have to transport through the network for every video … and there are many. 

Sounds like a big no. 

Your point re resources required would kill it right there. I want this thing to run - more or less - 'unattended' but if it’s held together with duct-tape and binder-twine … that’s unlikely.

I don’t have the appetite to set up a big render farm, so to prepare for growth, I need to investigate cloud based comping and rendering. I’ve read that AE can be hosted on AWS, not sure about AME. Then again, with the juice available on AWS, perhaps I can just have AE do the comping AND rendering.

Again, thanks for your answer.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines