• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I go pro on AE with just a laptop

New Here ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I've been starting to learn how to use After Effect recently, but I need a new system to train. I've been looking up to some really good "budget" laptop, I think, like the Lenovo Legion 5 or the Acer Nitro 5. If I can try a bit more then I can go with Predator Helios 300 or the Dell XPS, but that would be a bit hard for me.

However, I just get this recommendation that I can not get the "accuracy" (which unfortunately I don't really sure what the advisor mean) when working with AE on laptops. So that person suggest me that if I want to be a pro, getting serious with AE, then I should build a PC instead, but to me it's not that convenience.

Can you help me out, I want to know whether the statement that "AE can not be accurate with a laptop" is false or not. 

And is it possible to be a pro with just a Lenovo 5 or Nitro 5, may be? (I think I need a little bit of encouragement!)

TOPICS
FAQ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've used After Effects on a laptop for years, but evenutally moved to a desktop because it was impossible to upgrade when I needed it to.  I ran into problems when plugins (and After Effects itself) started trying to use my graphics card, which wasn't compatible with most things so I was stuck with software only.  That would be when the laptop's fan sounded like a 747 on take-off.

Upgrading and additional, external memory and storage is a lot better now than 5 years ago, but it is an experience I'm not keen to repeat.

To answer you question: After Effects on a laptop is perfectly possible, but over time you will run into issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's very helpful, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I`m currently working on both laptop and workstation. The laptop of course has less power, as it`s got a way smaller CPU and GPU and less RAM than my stationary machine (Laptop: Ryzen5 with 6 cores, Nvidia GTX1650 with 4Gb VRAM and system RAM of 16Gb, Workstation: Ryzen9 5950X with 16 cores, RTX3080Ti and 64 Gb RAM), but I still work on the laptop every now and then. The only major issue is the screen since it`s way too low, you develop neck issues quickly, similarly the keyboard often sucks, that`s why I use an external display and keyboard plus the mandatory Wacom/Huion graphics tablet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"AE can not be accurate with a laptop"

So I have no idea what your advisor means when he/she uses the term accurate in this context. 

Usually I hear the term accurate used to refer to color accuracy, which to be honest you aren't going to get with teh average computer monitor anyway. 

In general laptops are smaller and less powerful than desktop computers. But that is just a general rule, a laptop designed to create and edit graphics can be more powerful and better than a desktop that is not. 

When choosing a computer for AE you also need to consider what types of work you will be doing. For example, animating vector graphics for infographics or explainer videos requires different system resources than doing a multi–surface track in MochaAE. 

I've used both desktop and laptop computers, from both Windows and Mac for work. Everything from custom built graphic workstations to off the shelf compuers and they all work a bit differently depending on what I am trying to do. While in general a desktop graphics workstation will outperform a desktop replacemnt laptop built for the same purposes you may not need that much power depending on what you are trying nto do with the software. 

Here are some resources you may want to check out:

OPTIMIZING YOUR SYSTEM FOR PP & AE
https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/hardware-recommendations.html#:~:text=The%20sweet%20spot%20f....

RECOMMENDED SYSTEMS FOR ADOBE PREMIERE PRO
https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-Adobe-Premiere-Pro-143/Hardware-Rec...

RECOMMENDED SYSTEMS FOR ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS
https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-Adobe-After-Effects-144/Hardware-Re...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much for the advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines