• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I make a keyframed item in a mogrt adjustable in Premiere Pro?

Explorer ,
May 18, 2023 May 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not quite beginner in Premiere Pro, total beginner in After Effects...

I've created a lower third motion graphics template in After Effects for use in Premiere. I'll be reusing it a lot and need it to be horizontally resizable. The problem I'm having is that if I shorten the length of my background rectangle, the animation of the line stays the same and therefore appears too far to the right and travels too far to the left. Is there any way to also control the movement of the line in Premiere?

This is probably hard to follow so I've attached my file. Happy to elaborate on what I'm wanting if that's helpful.

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 18, 2023 May 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see several problems. The first problem is that you are using a Solid instead of a shape layer for the background so there is no way to adjust the size; you have to use scale. If I wanted to match the Line shape layer to the Solid Width I would use expressions to control where the solid moves based on the width of the background. I would add an expression Control Slider to a Controls null and use that slider to control the width of the rectangle. 

There are no protected regions in your comp, and it is incredibly long for a MOGRT. I would retime everything so that the total comp length was around 5 seconds, and you protect the starting and ending animations. You then have a Graphic in Premiere Pro that has the same transition time on and off the screen, but you can drag to any length you want for the static part of the graphic.

I would also consider making the comp size the same as the frame size of your typical Premiere Pro project. You can add position control for all of the elements and end up with a more efficient workflow in Premiere Pro.

I don't have time to fix your project today, but spending a little time searching "Extended Graphics" with the Search Help field in the top right corner of AE will give you some insights. Every expression that I would create to simplify and streamline the project would be very simple and involve very basic math. Ideally, you want to limit the controls you add to a MOGRT and link as many things as you can to one slider, point control, or checkbox. Most of the MOGRTs I create are designed for 4K video production but have a dropdown menu to reposition the graphic for HD and social media formats, and almost all MOGRTs I create that involve text with background layers have the backgrounds automated by using sourceRectAtTime() to check the size of the text layer and make adjustments automatically. 

I hope this helps a bit. If I get some time I'll post a screenshot that shows now I would link the background and the line graphic together and simplify your rig.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 19, 2023 May 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Rick, your reply is extremely helpful! I'll see if I can wrap my head around extended graphics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines