• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I set an external drive as RAM inside After Effects' preferences? I am maxed at 32GB physical

Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I set an external drive as RAM inside After Effects' preferences? I am maxed out at 32GB physical on my iMac.

TOPICS
How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no such thing. RAM is RAM, storage is storage. Of course external drives can be used for disk caches and temp files, but that's a whole other subject.

Mylenium 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes -  I get that. Terminology non-withstanding, will  external drives used as "cache" help performance?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The benefits and gains of the cache will depend on the specifics of a project, which in effect will mean that it only really matters if re-rendering a frame would take longer than pulling it from the cache. You'd have to provide more details on that.

Mylenium 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines