• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't Drag And Drop To Project Pane

Explorer ,
Dec 23, 2018 Dec 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After updating to 16.0.1, I can't drag and drop files anymore from Windows Explorer to the project pane in AE. I need to go through FIle-Import. Anyone having this problem?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you starting AE as administrator or normally. If AE is opened in admin mode (i guess you are on windows) you can't drag n' drop.
That is OS restriction not Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

imeilfx That doesn't seem right? At best it seems backwards? I can start AE using an Admin account and drag and drop and I can (rightclick and) ,run as administrator, and drag and drop. I don't understand why having higher user-rights will give you less control?

AE 16.0.1 / Win10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Short: Not possible
If you start AE in Admin mode you should not be able to drag n'drop files. Why? Ask Microsoft people.
That is the rule for most/or probably all software started that way.
And we are talking not about using admin profile/account but about running software with admini privilagesz.jpg

If you run software like that you won't be able to drag n' drop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Short: Did you try it?

I just did before I posted that and it works under those conditions. But I admire your confidence.

I tried it this way:

ezgif.com-resize.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I did. But you don't have to believe me:

Unable to drag files into Photoshop CC

Can't drag and drop a file into Photoshop for some reason?

Drag and Drop Files into Library not Working

Drag and drop in AME doesn't work since 2018 update

So. As I've said before that is not Adobe issue or my issue (or lack of knowledge) as you suggest but OS restriction. That is how system called UAC responsible for security works. Dragging and dropping is nothing else for system as comminicating/message sending and sending message between 2 aplications being on two different security levels. So as in our example and in most of the cases you are running your OS as regular user account and from time to time you are using run as admin for 1 or several aplications. That way you have one software (in our case AE) running in admin mode and other aplication (Windows Expolrer) as regular/normal user - that is why you can't drag and drop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 24, 2018 Dec 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, whatever you say. I provided a gif of me doing this afternoon what you say can not be done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 24, 2018 Dec 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You provided a gif of you opening AE as administrator but you did not show how explorer was opened - as admin or regular user (with restrictions). If your Windows Explorer would be opened as regular (non admin) - you would not be able to drag and drop. So you probably have Explorer running as Admin or you completly disabled UAC. And if any of those scenarios is correct - that is not the situation in most cases and most users who run OS as regular user and in that environement open chosen aplications as Admin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldn't drag and drop any file to Adobe Premiere Pro, always got the crossed circle symbol no matter what I did. And starting Premiere as NON administrator solved the problem! Thank you so much 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2021 Jul 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You were 100% right. I had another adobe program running and then open AE project. I could not drag and drop. Then I closed the two programes re-opened the AE program and hey presto. Thank you 🙂 LEGEND 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same, cant drag'n'drop, nothing helps. Ae 22. Going to reinstall. Abobe is amazing as usually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines