• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't import videos after updating to 17.0.5 (Build 16)

Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2020 Mar 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated yesterday and now I'm finding out I can't import video files!!!... anyone else having this issue? I get 2 messages:

After Effects error: Could not read from source. Please check the settings and try again.

(86::1)

After clicking OK I get another message:

After effects error: file 'name of file' cannot be imported - this '.mp4' file is damaged or unsupprted.

I've uninstalled and installed codecs, I've tied the quicktime fix, I've tried with mp4, m2t, mkv... no problems with Premiere or Media Encoder, just with AE.

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Explorer , Apr 14, 2020 Apr 14, 2020

I just updated After Effects. The problem is resolved. Thanks to Adobe engineers team.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Apr 26, 2020 Apr 26, 2020

Verify version 17.0.6.35 the problem is resolved.

Thanks to Adobe engineer team

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 107 Replies 107
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear that. What version of the application are you using (as shown under the About screen)? What OS version do you have the application installed on? What is the format of the media you're tryin to import? Still need to know those things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what a NewTek NDI is, and I don't have it installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Garrett. Prores should be an easy import. My thought was that there might have been a 3rd party importer that you'd installed that could be getting in the way of the native QuickTime importer. If you send me a personal message I can give you a Dropbox location you can use to upload a sample file. I'll have a look at the file and will see if I can repro the issue, or get a better idea why it's failing for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After Effects error: Could not read from source. Please check the settings and try again.

(86::1)

After clicking OK I get another message:

After effects error: file 'name of file' cannot be imported - this '.mp4' file is damaged or unsupprted.

I've uninstalled and installed codecs, I've tied the quicktime fix, I've tried with mp4, m2t, mkv... no problems with Premiere or Media Encoder, just with AE. I am having the same problem.What should i do now to import video files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem today:

- unarchived a large, old AE project to my network drive,

- opened the AE project, removed unused footage and collected all the files to my local ssd project drive,

- when opening the AE project file in the freshly collected folder I got the messages:

"(86::1) The source compression type is not supported"

"filename.mp4 cannot be imported - this ".mp4" file is damaged or unsupported"

- however, when opening the original project file again, with the same mp4 source files, none of the above errors pop up.

What solved the problem:

I shortened the name of the main folder containing the collected AE project and everything imports fine now.

What might have been causing the problem:

When the folder names are relatively long plus the directory structure is relatively deep, the absolute pathname of the project elements buried in the deepest folders might become too long to process by AE. Maybe its a Windows thing but I'm not sure. 

Hope this helps someone else.

Cheers,

K.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem for a while that I suddenly could not import MP4s int AE anymore. Updating and using older version did not help. I SOLVED it today by kicking out a third party plug in out of the follwing folder: 

• On macOS: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common/Plug-ins/7.0/MediaCore 

It was a plug-in by the INST360 camera "Insta360Importer.bundle"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still having this issue.  Version 22.2.1 (Build 3)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2023 Apr 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nice wonderful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines