Can't Import .vpe files into After Effects

Participant ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I created a .vpe file in Photoshop. 

I go to file>import>vanishing point

the .vpe file is greyed out. A .3ds file is created along with the .vpe file, and that isn't greyed out. But when I select it, I get "unable to execute script at line 138."

Any idea what gives? 

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure your versions of AE and Photoshop match and they are both the latest build of that version. If that does not solve the problem then try exporting a VPE again. You should be able to export a VPE right from Photoshop. I did it just two days ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. 

I do indeed have the latest versions of both installed. 

I've tried several exports of VPE, and it hasn't worked. 

Any other ideas? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 06, 2020 Jun 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still can't import. Anyone ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 06, 2020 Jun 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you able to save a VPE file?

What does the file look like in Photoshop?

This is what the setups should look like.

Screenshot_2020-06-06 10.23.03_g29EJS.pngScreenshot_2020-06-06 10.21.10_MPvTzu.png

If you do not properly set up the planes in Vanishing Point the file will either fail to properly import into AE or it will fail on save. The only files that will work in After Effects are the Vanishing Point for After Effects files. If the planes are properly set up in Photoshop and you get a png file for every plane when you export, then you should get a file you can Import as a Vanishing Point file. You must use the File/Import/Vanishing Point (.vpe)... menu to open the file and set up the comp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 08, 2020 Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick, thank you for responding. 

I did set everything up properly, and I got the png files. 

I downloaded the prior version of After Effects, and was able to import the same files. After the import, I downloaded most up-to-date version again and continued with project.  

Thus, there is some type of bug with most recent version of After Effects.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 08, 2020 Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OS and system details would help track this down if it is a bug. I cannot make it fail unless I do not use the correct workflow with the last 3 versions of AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2020 Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using AFTER EFFECTS V 17.1 on an iMac OS 10.14.6, updated version of Photoshop CC 2020, and the VPE is exported into After Effects completely twisted and unusable. It's too bad. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2020 Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Twisted and unusable could just be technique + the photo. A screenshot of the original photo and a screenshot of what your VPE file looks like would help. Not all images are suitable for export as a VPE file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same exact issue.

On my Mac, I have the newest versions of CC installed with After Effects (17.1.1) and Photoshop (21.2.0) being completely up to date. I've tried the export/import proccess with several pictures I can confirm the exported .vpe file from Photoshop is indeed greyed out in After Effects dropdown import menu.

All the perspective planes are blue in my comp.

I cannot even open the .vpe file back in Photoshop. The error message reads: "Could not complete your request because Photoshop doe not recognize this type of file".

This has to be a bug. I just wanted to confirm OP issue to hopefully expidite a fix.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I am having the same issue months later, just updated my Mac OS and adobe programs and now .vpe import in After Effects does not work. 
Is anyone else still having trouble with this? For anyone who got it to work, what version of After Effects and Photoshop are you using?

It seems that After Effects 17.6 will not work with Vanishing Point files, the import option is greyed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2021 May 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem. PS exports the .vpe and corresponding .png files, along with a .3ds file. When choosing "Import Vanishing Point" from AE, only the .3ds is selectible. I'm running current versions of both CC apps and MacOS 10.14.6. Has this been solved?

(first time posting here, sorry for any breaches of style or protocol.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2021 Oct 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problem with last version on macbook 

with latest update 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2022 Oct 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same problem today, any updates?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines