- Save

- Save As...

- Save a Copy as XML...

- Save a Copy as 18.X...

- Save a Copy as 17.X...

- Increment and Save

- Auto-saving

- Keyboard shortcuts for any of the above

The options are not greyed out in the menu. When I select/click them they become highlighted and respond as normal as if the AE recognizes the input but there is no resulting action. No save. No save window. No error prompt. Autosave is enabled but it doesn't do anything.

When attempting to close an unsaved project AE does the normal "would you like to save?" prompt. But selecting yes/save just closes the save window and project without actually saving the changes made to the existing project file or creating a new one.

Attempted Fixes:

- Granted After Effects Full Disk Access in "Security & Privacy" System Preferences

- Updated AE to latest Version

- Uninstalled/Re-Installed AE

- Uninstalled/Re-Installed Creative Cloud

- Enabled Read & Write Privileges for ALL USERS in /Library/Preferences/Adobe/After Effects/22.4 and applied changes to all contained subfolders/files (this is not necessarily recommended but I thought if there was a permissions hang up anywhere then this would open it up)

- Deleted AE Preferences

Deleting AE Preferences game me SOME new information.

After deleting the preferences and creating a new project everything SEEMED to be working properly again. But as I quickly discovered if you close After Effects the fix is gone the next time you open it.

I can "fix" it again by deleting my preferences again but this is obviously not a sustainable solution as it just repeats every time you close/reopen AE.

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Aug 24, 2022 Aug 24, 2022

UPDATE: It seems this issue has been RESOLVED with the August update of version 22.6.

After updating to version 22.6 this issue no longer persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Aug 25, 2022 Aug 25, 2022

I can confirm that this issue has been resolved in the latest After Effects release (v22.6).

After Effects 22.6 is now live!

Thank you all for your patience!
Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2022 May 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for formulating this issue.

I'm having the exact same problem on Macbook Pro 2021, M1 Pro, 16 Gb, Monterrey 12.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey JBriland,

Could you share more details about what you were doing when this problem occured? Did you recently log out of and back into the creative cloud app?

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Justin_at_law,

I’m sorry for the poor experience, this seems frustrating. Would you be able to share a screen recording of the problem? I have shared the details of this issue with the team. I’ll keep you updated with any fix or workaround we come across.

Regards,

Ishan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I'm not sure how much this helps but here's me trying to save, save as, render from render queue as well as importing files.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey JBriland,

Thank you, this certainly helps.

Regards,

Ishan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2022 May 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ishan,

Thank you for reaching out so quickly. Here is a screen recording of the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 30, 2022 May 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot Justin. I have shared the video with the team. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 31, 2022 May 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would be grateful if you could also share you preference files once After Effects stops saving. Also, if you could share your log files with us, that would be great. You can enble logging by going to Help > Enable logging. To view your log files go to Help > Reveal Log Files after reproducing the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are the log files.

For the preferences I tried to upload a ZIP of my preferences folder at:

/Users/[user_name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe/After Effects/[version]

but zip files aren't supported for upload here.

How do you recommend I go about sending them to you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Justin. You may use any file hosting service of your choice. If you have space to spare in your Creative Cloud storage, you can also use it to share the file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might seem like a silly question but here anything goes, do you have a monitor with an extended screen or do you only use one monitor?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2022 May 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No silly questions here Byron. You're right that anything goes.

No extended/additional monitors. Just the factory iMac display.

Thank you for contributing to the thread.

- Justin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2022 Jun 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Community!

I have run into a problem that has been permitting for 2 days now.

I recently downloaded the free saber file for use and it was after my first use that I began encountering this issue. After I rendered one composition, AE will no longer allow me to render anything else. I assumed because I did not set an output source, which is usually set to my external HDD. I then noticed that it would not even allow me to select an output. I can click on the button all day but there is no response from the software.

I ignored this and went on to trying to complete a loop graphic, but then after trying to pre-comp my files, I noticed that it refused no matter how many times I tried to precompose.

As I continued to play around and fix this, I then realzied that AE would not save my projects at all. This is now the 2nd day and going on day 3. I cannot use any shortcut and even going to File > Save or SaveAs does not work.

Is something running in the background without me be aware and its blocking the software's response?

I already deleted the temporary cache data and honestly I don't want to add in some random line of code found on the internet.

Any ideas on a quick fee? I restarted my macbok air, but there was no success.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to resolve this issue by giving AE Full Disk Access.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all.

I had a problem two weeks ago.

At one point, the after effect stopped saving files through command+s or save as, and even when closing the project, if you click "save" the project don’t save. After Effect doesn't show any error in the window. 

I have OS Monterey (12.4)

Processor 2,6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7

Memory 16CB 2400 MHz DDR4

I can't connect appearance of this error with any actions. I have been working on this computer for 4 years with aftereffects.

1. I tried to reboot after
  2. I tried to install older versions
  3. I have tried deleting all adobe files from my computer and reinstalling them.

But nothing helped.

Of the features, sometimes when i click command+s  the file is saved. But this happens only with new files, and only the first time. Further after making some changes to the file, command+s or save as don’t work. 

And of course there is a checkmark in the settings “autosave file” but that doesn't work either. 

Please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi taya_stdnk,

Welcome to the community and sorry for your issue.

Are you using any third-party plug-ins for After Effects? Did you install a new font recently or make any changes to your computer? Can you try creating a new user account on your computer (for testing) and see if After Effects works in it?

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using any third-party plug-ins for After Effects? 

• I haven't updated  new plugins in the last year.

Did you install a new font recently or make any changes to your computer? 

• Sometimes I download google fonts but it never fails.

Can you try creating a new user account on your computer (for testing) and see if After Effects works in it? 

- Unfortunately, I'm not very good at this. I think no.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a new account user on my computer, and ran after, but the error with saving the file did not go away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 03, 2022 Jun 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for testing.

Please try providing full disk access to After Effects and see if it brings any change.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no viruses on my computer.

I think that the problem is not with my computer, but with the ADOB software.

I assume that the problem is in syncing files with the cloud. I don't know how it works, but I keep sending developers a prompt when the aftereffects is turned off,  after I tring to save the file. Please check it!

It is also impossible to render a file in an after effect, “output To” not pressed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't mean that. Sorry for the confusion. It looks like After Effects is not able to access the disk properly. Hence, I suggested providing it full disk access. The link I shared above, shows how you can provide full disk access to an app. Please ignore the antivirus program in the article and select After Effects instead.

Let us know if there's any confusion.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did what you asked. Allow full access to full disk access for after effects,  but that didn't fix the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines