• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can you convert wiggle paths to keyframes?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2022 Jan 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I was wondering if there was a way of converting 'wiggle paths' to key frames like you can do with just normal wiggle? Or is there a workaround where I can start and stop the expression?

Cheers!

TOPICS
Expressions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 08, 2022 Jan 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, you can't. At best you could pre-compose the effect and apply an auto-trace in the parent comp, but that creates a ton of masks and mask keyframes which can make AE extremely slow. Therefore it would be best to resort to mask expressions or plug-ins and scripts that create such effects on regular masks, so check AEScripts.com. Other than that of course none of that may even be necessary for what you intend to do, but you haven't explained the idea behind your question, so we can't advise.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, you can.  And it's a STANDARD function of AfterEffects!

Just right-click on the parameter (Position, Rotation, etc) that has the wiggle expression on it,

go to "Keyframe Assistant",

and choose "Convert Expression to Keyframes".
Done!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AH!  What the OP meant was the "Wiggle Paths" property on a shape layer?
Hmmm ... nope, that wouldn't work, indeed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 08, 2022 Jan 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the CreativeCow forums, Dan Ebberts suggests:

It appears that if you apply a wiggle deformer with the same settings to the linked path, and set the same, non-zero seed, you’ll get the same deformation. I’m not sure it works in all cases, but it seems to, based on the seeds I tried.

https://creativecow.net/forums/thread/reference-shape-layer-path-after-wiggle-paths/

In terms of starting and stoping the expression, I take it keyframing the properties isn't what you're after?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2023 Feb 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue but I cannot understand what a "wiggle deformer" is. I cannot find any external script nor an expression with this name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2023 Feb 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When you have a path on a Shape Layer and expand it on the timeline, there's a tiny Add menu.  In there are deformers or effectors (or things ??).  One of these is Wiggle Paths.  When selected it lets you wiggle a path.

I talk about it in this tutorial (linked it timestamped to that moment: https://youtu.be/7417c02lLA4?t=190)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines