• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot import PSD 2022 multiple layered file as composition into AE 2022

Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2022 Jul 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everytime I import a PSD 2022 multiple layered file as a composition into AE 2022, AE freezes.

I am able to import as footage and also able to import video footage. 

It is only freezing when importing PSD as composition and composition retain layer sizes. 

I am using the most updated Adobe versions through Creative Cloud.

I am working on Microsoft Windows 1, Alienware Aurora R11, x64-based PC, with Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700KF CPU @ 3.80GHz, 3792 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s).

TOPICS
Freeze or hang , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jul 10, 2022 Jul 10, 2022

Until you can figure out what's happening in the Photoshop layers that After Effects is not happy with, sounds like a good time to try plan B:  File > Export... > Layers to Files... in Photoshop.

WarrenHeaton_0-1657507616265.png

Whenever I need to do this, I usually go with PNG-24 and Transparancy enabled.

WarrenHeaton_1-1657507713693.png

Trim Layers enabled is almost the same as import "As Composition - Layer Sizes".  Layer registration (how one layers aligns with another layer within the Photoshop Canvas) is going to be manual on the After Effects si

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jul 11, 2022 Jul 11, 2022

I would check a couple of things. The first one is related to AE: try to deactivate GPU acceleration for the project. Enter into File > Project Settings and under the Video Rendering and Effects tab select Mercury Software Only. The second one is related to Phosothop. Be sure the color space for the PSD document is RGB and not CMYK.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 10, 2022 Jul 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Until you can figure out what's happening in the Photoshop layers that After Effects is not happy with, sounds like a good time to try plan B:  File > Export... > Layers to Files... in Photoshop.

WarrenHeaton_0-1657507616265.png

Whenever I need to do this, I usually go with PNG-24 and Transparancy enabled.

WarrenHeaton_1-1657507713693.png

Trim Layers enabled is almost the same as import "As Composition - Layer Sizes".  Layer registration (how one layers aligns with another layer within the Photoshop Canvas) is going to be manual on the After Effects side and it may be a lot of futz work to nudge trimmed layers on the AE side such that they match the PS side.

Trim Layers disabled is the same as "As Composition".  Each resulting layer will have the same width and height as the document and as such  the layers should register with each other.  Futz work should be limited to stacking the layers on the AE side to match the PS side.

A down side of this approach is that Layer Styles are merged during the export to PNG, so there's nothing for "Covert to Editable Styles" on the After Effects side for AE to work with.

I usually create a folder with the same name as the Photoshop file and " Layers" added.  So, the layers in a Photoshop document named "Thank Goodness for Workarounds.psd" would be named "Thank Goodness for Workarounds Layers".  To import the resulting folder into After Effets, start a drag and drop from the Finder/Exporer to the After Effects Project tab, but press Option/Alt before the drop so that AE knows to import the folder as Stills and not as an Image Sequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2022 Jul 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the "Thank Goodness for Workarounds.psd". Your plan b is greatly appreciated!

I hope to get the Photoshop doc import working soon and until then I will be utizling your recommendation.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi defaultkygy6c5saozy,

Glad to hear the expert's suggestion worked.

Would you mind sharing the PSD file with us to test? I am not able to reproduce the issue on my end.

Feel free to DM me the download link.

We're here to help.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi nishu_kush,

I apologize for my delayed response and I was able to troubleshoot importing PS into AE as compositions. Not exactly sure what the issue was because importing any PS file did not work. I am able to import now without any trouble. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same issue.  Reinstalled both PhotoShop and After Effects and still not importing the psd file. Have to force quit AE every time.  Is there a fix for this yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JasonLanierBrown_FS 

Hi Jason.  Sorry to hear that you're not able to import your PSD file as expected.  It usually works.

Do you have a sample PSD file that you can share?  I know it's not usually convenient to share a file that's part of a project.  Could you create something from scratch that won't import and then share that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem on sharing the file.  Here it is!  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@JasonLanierBrown_FS 

I'm able to import the file Pie Chart.psd into an After Effects project as expected.
Pie Chart.psd imported as Footage and as a Composition into an After Effects project.Pie Chart.psd imported as Footage and as a Composition into an After Effects project.

Here is a screen recording for reference: https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/07b896d3-fca2-4b04-4303-701b22763d9a

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would check a couple of things. The first one is related to AE: try to deactivate GPU acceleration for the project. Enter into File > Project Settings and under the Video Rendering and Effects tab select Mercury Software Only. The second one is related to Phosothop. Be sure the color space for the PSD document is RGB and not CMYK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jose!

I have run into the CMYK issue before and thank you for the reminder. The PS files were not in CMYK so I deactiviated the BPU acceleration for the project. This fixed the trouble and I was able to import PSD as compositions. I activated my BPU acceleration again to test and everything works fine. It is strange that it seems to have fixed itself. 

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines