Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot rotate handle in Graph Editor

Participant ,
Jan 12, 2018 Jan 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two problems.

First - i cannot rotate handles in Graph Editor which i can do in all other applications?

Second - Whenever i grab point of the handle and try to move it it moves whole handle. How to lock it in place and move only one side without moving whole handle?

Here is the video that showing my problem - 2018 01 13 04 55 40 - YouTube

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 13, 2018 Jan 13, 2018
In the value graph no handles at all.

position keyframes do not allow value graph handles until you separate the dimensions.

now you can alt+click on a keyframe to extract a bezier handle

you should read here more about the graph editor:

Animation basics in Adobe After Effects

any topic you want to know more about in Ae, just type it's name in the upper right search filed in your Ae interface

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2018 Jan 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is because you are using the Speed graph, not the Value Graph. In the Speed Graph you can move the handles to change influence for easing the speed. Click in the second button you have in the bottom of the Graph Editor and change it to Value Graph.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2020 Mar 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I did that. I'm trying to smooth out the time over 5 keyframes with the shape of a path. Whether I"m in the speed graph or Value graph, the handles remain fixed to horizontal. I agree with Silverbell... it's nonsense to present a UI element that's worked a certain way for decades and have it not work that way in a new context. 

Screen Shot 2020-03-18 at 9.48.36 PM.pngHow do I get them to move vertically. Even better, the keyframes split in half! Nonsense. I just want one smooth simple arc like a hill. Without being able to adjust the angle of the keyframes, it's impossible. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2022 Oct 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you solve this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2022 Oct 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Trying to animate position with the graph editor is a nightmare. Adjusting the timing of a position move with the graph editor is the way to go. I suggest the following workflow for timing and position:

My Quick Tips Playlist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 13, 2018 Jan 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the value graph no handles at all. There are only dots to move. And i think i needed to have ability for the handles to rotate in  the speed graph so my final graps would look like a smooth waves.

GUID-83E0DFEE-8248-43A7-AE6D-B06098B5458D.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the value graph no handles at all.

position keyframes do not allow value graph handles until you separate the dimensions.

now you can alt+click on a keyframe to extract a bezier handle

you should read here more about the graph editor:

Animation basics in Adobe After Effects

any topic you want to know more about in Ae, just type it's name in the upper right search filed in your Ae interface

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2019 Feb 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is Maya

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so i needed something like in maya or other programs to rotate handles but anyways i did it already in hard way by using some so called "rows"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines