• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cant select last letter in a line of text - After Effects v 22.1.x and v22.x

Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have an issue in AE where if I click and drag on a line of text it wont let me select the last letter, this happens if I click and drag left, or right. I have no idea what is causing this.

I thought it was the GPU - I have an Zotac RTX3080 I swapped it out for an RTX 3070 and am still having the same issue. I uninstalled AE Juice as that seems to cause random problems with AE now, and am struggling to figure out what may be causing this.

I have a Core i9 10920x an Asus Rog X299E mother board, 64gb of Ram DDR 3600 (XMP is on) and the Zotac RTX 3080 - I have updated graphics drivers and still no luck.

I was running two 4K monitors, and have unplugged on thinking that maybe that was an issue, but no luck.

Please help. I am losing my mind with this problem.

TOPICS
Error or problem , Performance , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Hi all, 

After Effects 23.0, released a few hours ago, has fixed this issue. 

Thanks,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 131 Replies 131
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2022 Sep 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first thing we noticed of 22.6  on Win 10 is the Text tool no longer selects the last letter when drag selecting letters. This seems consistent on all artist machines, when new text is made and then a selection is made with a cursor, both when trying to select the whole word or line, and when you are just trying to select the last character. 

You can however select all the characters when double clicking the text layer. 

Seems like a must fix. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MicrosoftTeams-image (6).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Dan Peck 

Sorry for your issue!

I have moved your post to this discussion so that you can get updates on the issue that you're experiencing. 

Summary:

@Douglas_Waterfall has worked on a fix available in After Effects Beta 23.0.0.25. If no issues are reported in the beta, the fix will be pushed to a future After Effects release. 

If you want to try the Beta, you can download it from the CC desktop app under the "Beta apps" category. Please note that the Beta is a separate install and WON'T replace your existing version of After Effects.

Rameez_Khan_0-1662488256653.png

Thanks,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Rameez, get the team to fast track this damn bug that has been plaging us for months and months to an official release! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2022 Sep 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rameez - 

This apprears to now be fixed in the latest beata installed today. 

Will this make its way into a 22.7 release hotfix? by the sounds of it this is a much needed update that shouldn't wait and essential to the core of AE mograph work. 

Thanks

Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm suprised you just now noticed this as it's been around for a long time. They had it fixed in 22.4 but now it's back. According to adobe, it'll be a future fix in some version of 23.? Apparently adobe doesn't want to ramp up the timeline on this bug they obvoiusly know how to fix. They are only interested in pushing out "more bells and whistles" so they can attract more customers. I'm about to give up on adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This one is a real time killer - hope the fix is in the next main release!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2022 Sep 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I have the exact same problem here. It is starting to drive me crazy... Please fix this asap!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is STILL happening... 😞  September 13.  Super slowing me down!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TYPE ISSUE STILL HAPPENING. In addition this last release is incredibly slow in updating previews. On a brand new Mac Studio system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue ! Pleaae fix it quickly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, 

I see a lot of people want to get an update on this. Hence, I want to provide more clarity. 

I want to reiterate that this bug has been fixed in Beta (version 23.0.0.25 and higher). Usually, when a fix is available in Beta, you won't experience the issue in the next public version. Sorry, I don't have an exact date for the next release, but all I can say is it is coming soon. 

Workaround: Use the keyboard shortcuts (Command + A) or triple-click the mouse to select the entire text string.

Thank you, everyone, for your patience on this.

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is great that it's fixed in the beta, but when we are doing paid client work, we can't risk using beta software. It would be one thing had this issue not been fixed on a public release prior, but knowing that is was makes this all the more frustrating. Whatever they did in 22.4 worked! so I don't undertand why in the world this is taking so long and getting pushed back. Adobe has a fix for this, so please adobe, put it in a public release so that we're not stuck relying on beta. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed.  I'm in the middle of a massive kick off video for a big corporate client, and am 100% not downloading any Beta.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's always tricky to know when to update our OS, software, plugins, scripts, addons, and extensions.

Fortunately, we can install multiple versions of After Effects, allowing us to easily test new versions.

Unfortunately, the ability to open the same project file in versions 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022 is going away (we'll have to use Save As to roll back to older AE versions once again), but that was fantastic while it lasted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

this message is from september 15th. How long will we have to wait since this is fixed on a public release? If the problem is solved, make it public please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2022 Oct 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rameez - this is not an acceptable workaround for doing precice editing.  The only real way to get around this is to place your cursor to the right of the last letter in the word, then command click to the left of the first letter you need to highlight.  This is incredibly time consuming when editing lots of text. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or just double click the word to highlight the whole thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2022 Oct 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. Im working with a lot of text in my videos and I have to always go back and edit the last letter individually. Its already october! I cannot believe this is still an ongoing issue! And youre always suggesting to work with beta! Outraging. 😠

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded 22.6, and end of text block selection worked for a day or 2, and now I again cannot select last character. Not Happy!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 27, 2022 Sep 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Darrell5E64 

This issue is not fixed in After Effects 22.6. Sorry about that! 

It's fixed in After Effects Beta version 23.0.0.25 and higher. Can you try that and let us know if it works as expected? 

Please note that the Beta is a separate install. It won't replace your existing version of After Effects. 

Thanks,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2022 Sep 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Myself and all students in my classes are having this exact problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 27, 2022 Sep 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @default73vw57ovgbpn 

Sorry to hear this! I understand it is frustrating for you and the students.
You won't experience this issue in the next After Effects update. 

For now, you can use other methods to select text — keyboard shortcuts and triple-clicking the mouse works.

Best,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. v22.6.0 (build 64).

I can't believe the amount of editing time that I have to waste researching Adobe issues. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best way to get around it is to add a space after the last letter. It's annoying but at least you can highlight the text as normal when you need to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines