• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Change speed

Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, i'm trying to change speed to a 3d null object by rotating position and scale together. The problem is that my path also changes, why? Can you help me understand?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

I believe it is the spatial interpolation of the Position keyframes that is causing this.

1. Highlight your position keyframes on the Timeline.
  2. Right–click on one of the selected keyframes and choose Keyframe Interpolation from the menu.
  3. In the dialog, set Spacial Interpolation to Linear.
  4. Click OK to close the dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share some screenshots and the properties you want to change? Your description is hard to understand.

If you have a perfectly created animation and you just want to adjust it's speed without touching the keyframes again (because they are already perfect), you can always precompose your work and use time remap to adjust the speed.

*Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basically I'm animating the position, scale and xyz rotation via speed graph.

Schermata 2021-11-16 alle 12.05.28.png

As soon as I apply easy ease to the keyframes the situation is like this and everything is ok.

Schermata 2021-11-16 alle 12.06.02.png

However, when I change the curve of each parameter (like this) the animation does not go well because it changes the path.

Schermata 2021-11-16 alle 12.10.47.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also try out value graph instead of speed graph. It's easier to animate using that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is your motion path changing? Editing the Speed Graph shouldn't change the value of the keyframes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you have an animation with eased keyframes and you are adjusting the ease using speed graph?

I'm not sure what you mean by "The problem is that my path also changes". Which path? The motion path, the speed graph, the value graph, mask paths, shape paths?

Your animation might be off track, because the ease of each property isn't in sync anymore. Start and end values are correct, but inbetween, everything is "wobbling".You can select more than one property and see their individual speed graphs as an overlay. Then you can carefully get them back in sync. I started using flow (https://aescripts.com/flow/) to get the easing done. It's way less headache.

I can aso recommend ease copy (https://aescripts.com/easecopy/). You can just copy the ease of position to the other properties, so they are all in sync again.

*Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The motion path

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Rick wrote, can you show us the motion path or even better: make a short screen capture of the issue?

*Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to change the timing of a position animation editing the speed graph is the way to go. It is nearly impossible to get predictable results for position editing the value graph. Changing the timing changes when the move happens but it should not change the motion path. Throw scale into the mix and the path may look different because scale works around the Anchor Point. Without seeing the motion path in your screenshot, it is impossible for me to know what is going on. 

Maybe this tutorial I produced will help you understand editing timing with the speed graph.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, this is an example. You can see when start zoom in the path isn't flowing, it has a slight upward shift.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dcajvzffgxqr7mo/Registrazione%20schermo%202021-11-19%20alle%2010.37.44.mov...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 20, 2021 Nov 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see the shift and I think it's because the eases of the individual properties are slightly different.

*Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 20, 2021 Nov 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are multiple duplicate frames in your QT preview file, making the entire motion look stuttered.  Did you capture this using screen recording software or something?  It's not really possible to asses the motion of your animation when the motion is fragmented like this.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 21, 2021 Nov 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The video is horrible in quality, but in the 2nd and 3rd repeatation, you'll notice a little downward movement which isn't there in the 1st run. I think OP is referring to this and to me it looks like out of sync individual movements.

*Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here I am with a huge delay.

I am attaching a .aep file where you understand what I mean. When the red square returns to the top it should zoom in but instead makes a small unwanted movement upwards as soon as the zoom starts. Why???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe it is the spatial interpolation of the Position keyframes that is causing this.

1. Highlight your position keyframes on the Timeline.
  2. Right–click on one of the selected keyframes and choose Keyframe Interpolation from the menu.
  3. In the dialog, set Spacial Interpolation to Linear.
  4. Click OK to close the dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 13, 2022 Jan 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect thank you very much!

This change, however, is enough to make it on the second-last "position" keyframe, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Arrrrgghhhhhh! Same problem! In this example, when there is zoom in, the movement goes down and then ends up in the correct position. Why is it going down ??? Even setting “Spacial Interpolation” to “Linear”, same thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As before, we need to see the speed graphs of the animated properties, but also would be great to see the whole timeline and preview window, with the end position keyframe selected so we can see the motion path.  This looks to me like a bezier curve error on your motion path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can these two screenshots help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For now I solved it by animating the Z position and not the scale but I don't understand why animating x, y and scale does this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the scale keyframes are causing the problem.  The anchor point of your layer is a long way from the top section we're seeing, so even a small change of scale will make the visible part move quite a lot.  Try temporarily deleting or moving the scale keyframes away to see if it fixes the issue.

EDIT:  Sorry, just saw your additional response after I posted.  So it's obviously the scale keyframes causing the issue.  Problem 1 you have is that the Anchor Point of your layer is so far away from the visible part of the layer. You could move the Anchor Point, but that will disrupt your existing position keyframes.

You'll also find that, in most usual situations, you want your keyframes for transform properties to be aligned in time.  So your position animation and scale animation should start and finish at the same time for a more fluid movement, and their speed should ramp up and down (ease) at the same rate.  Obviously there are many reasons for not doing this, but in typical situations you'll want them to be aligned - not a rule, just a common thing to consider.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but I don't understand what do you mean with "Try temporarily deleting or moving the scale keyframes away to see if it fixes the issue."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but I also wrote while editing your answer :-D. So there is no solution? Luck has it that by animating the Z position I solved it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By using Z position instead of scale you're effectively doing what I said - synchronising the change in position and the change in scale. In your previous animation if you pulled the starting scale key frame back so it starts at the same time as position, you may also fix the issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand, the position and scale keyframes starts at the same time...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines