Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

changing text colour in After Effects

New Here ,
Aug 27, 2021 Aug 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am brand new to After Effects so please be gentle with me!

I am trying to complete the very simple task of changing text colour. No matter what i've tried, nothing seems to work. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Have attached a Loom link

Thanks

Ubertino

https://www.loom.com/share/ef8b3baa67c44d1ab191778828e65eef

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you are troubleshooting a problem the first thing you should do is start turning off effects. You have Glow and Emboss applied to the text layer. The Fill color for the text is dark red, the stroke is only 1 pixel. Turn off Glow and Emboss and you will see dark red text with a very thin green stroke that you can change to black. Because the stroke is only 1 pixel if the position of the horizontal and vertical edges of the text layer is not perfectly aligned with the pixel grid, the stroke is going to be antialiased and blend in with the background making it very hard to see. If you animate the position of the text layer the edges are going to flicker unless you introduce a fair amount of motion blur. Generally, if you are using a stroke it should be at least 2 pixels wide.

When you turn on Emboss you will see that the foreground color changes because of your settings. Emboss is probably not the effect you want to be using. Try selecting the layer and then going to the Layer/Layer Styles/Bevil and Emboss menu. You will have more options.

When you turn on Emboss the fill color is going to bleed into the stroke color. That is where the red edges come from. You may be better off using Layer Styles because you have color controls there. 

There is nothing wrong with your comp except the width of the stroke and the effect settings.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi

Thanks for that, will try those adjustments. I suppose it's probably best to get the colours right before messing around with effects.

U

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines