• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Clicking the composition stops previewing

Participant ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you are previewing and click anywhere on the composition panel it stops the preview & starts it from the beginning. 

All other panels seem fine.

It could be that a lot of false bugreports have been made cuz of this bug. 

I provided a video of the bug in action.

Please fix this ❤️

Much love,

Dierenwinkel

M1 MAX, AE 2023

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

@Warren Heaton @Roland Kahlenberg 

Yea you guys are right. It's just when I missclick that it's annoying. But I can live with that. If other people find the feature usefull than that is fine with me, no need to change it just for me. 

Now that I'm aware of it it's fine enough for me.

I know the reason why it behaves this way and it's not a bug.

Thanks for your time! ❤️

Much love,

Dierenwinkel

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While a Preview is playing, use Spacebar to stop a Preview and have the Current Time Indicator (the blue line) go to the Preview Time Indicator (the red line) or Escape to stop a Preview and have the Current Time Indicator remain at the current time. 

For Compositions with a long duration like yours, it's helpful to set the Work Area to a shorter duration. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dierenwinkel,

Thanks for writing in.

It seems it's expected. Working the same way on my end.

Did it work differently? Which version were you using before?

Moving this thread from Bugs to Discussions.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@nishu_kush 

The bug is:

When you click on the composition panel, the preview stops extending.

Expected behavior:

When you click the composition panel it keeps on extending the preview. 

Like it does when you click any other panel.

Sorry if this was confusing before its kind of hard to explain (I'm not a native english speaker)

I also provided a more clear screenrecording. Please have a look at it ❤️

Much love,

Dierenwinkel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the clarification.

As long as there is sufficient RAM to do so at the current Resolution setting, 
current versions of After Effects "keeps on extending the preview".

Look to see if  Composition  > Preview > Cache Frames While Idle is enabled.

If enabled and the Composition Work Area is not turning green, check the delay option in the Preferences (it defaults to two seconds).

If enabled and the area turning green stops, lower the Comp Resolution or make more RAM available to After Effects.

If you do not see Cache Frames While Idle, update After Effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey man thanks for trying to help but your misunderstanding the issue.

I know how playback works. (I have 8 years of AE experience)

I have 64gb of ram on this machine I could easilly cache the entire sequence in the video.

You can even see in the video that I'm previewing way more than the part at the end. So I'm definitly not running out of ram.

That is not the issue!

The issue is: As soon as I click on the composition panel my preview stops extending and goes to the start & keeps on looping (really clear example at the end of the video).

If I click on any other panel the preview keeps on extending (you can see this clearly in the video).

Please devs fix this issue.

Much love,

Dierenwinkel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try disabling the addons that you are using as they are the most likely cause of the unexpected behavior with your installation of After Effects.

When you determine which addon is causing the software conflict, reach out to their support department about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it working on your machine than?

Do you experience the bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Dierenwinkel Doc 

I believe you have a conflict with one of your addons which is not a bug.

Here's a sample of my working in After Effects with the Preview running that I think is similar to how you are trying to work: https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/32239e60-51c6-4cec-4b88-466251651899

Here's a sample of my working in After Effects with the Preview running that's close to how I typically work: https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/8d9e020b-435e-4b2c-54b6-1c229c71366e

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Warren Heaton again thanks for trying to help but again your missing the point & the bug.

The video's that you showed did not show the bug. I kind of wasted 20 minutes watching them.

I do not have a conflict!

A collegue of mine wich only had Gifgun installed (I don't have that one installed.) 

Had the same bug. He is running an Imac from 2014

The only reason why I'm changing the contrast in the video is to reset the ram preview.

Lemme make one more video. I will provide some text on screen to make things even more clear.

2000's notepad tutorial style 🙂

@nishu_kush please watch this latest video & put this thread back into the bugs section. 

Please fix this bug,

Much love, 

Dierenwinkel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to disable third-party addons and then add them back one at a time.

Also, if you're in an iMac from 2014 with minute long Comps, lower the Comp Resolution.

You likely need to go lower than Quarter Resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Warren Heaton 
My patience is gone!
Please stop replying to this post.
You clearly do NOT understand the issue!
Your only making it worse by cluttering this entire thread. 
Making it less likely a dev wil respond.
Based on your response I don't think you even watched the video....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have watched your video and it's great that you posted it as that is how someone can see that you are running several third party addons.

While your issue is very frustrating, it's highly unlikely that it is a bug when another user can post a video doing more or leas what you are attempting to do with the Preview running for eight minutes.

I hope you can get to a point where your After Effects runs as well as mine.    I'd say good luck, but it is good troubleshooting that is most likely going to resolve this for you and if you want to work in Comps that are a few minutes long a more powerful computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Warren Heaton 
Here is a video on my windows machine with mic so I explain it there (at work i dont have a mic).

I have had this issue on: 
A windows machine with a clean install of AE
A M1 MAX (64gb of ram) with 3 plugins installed
A IMAC from 2014 with 1 plugin installed

Again you did not show the issue in your video's!

Now in this last video I previewed the entire thing so you cant make the claim that I didn't have enough ram. So you can throw that theory out of the window. 

On my windows machine (where i recorded this video on) 

I have a Ryzen 5950X, 64gb of ram and dual RTX 3090's. So I have a very very very powerfull computer.

Please Ae devs look into this this is my biggest pet pieve with AE.

Much love,

Dierenwinkel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Back when it was called a RAM Preview, clicking anywhere during a Preview was the same as pressing the Escape key.  That is, the preview stops and the Composition shows the curent time.

Since becoming Preview up to After Effects 2021, clicking anywhere in the Composition is the same a pressing the Escpae key while clicking elsewhere allows us to make edits as the Preview continues to run.

As of After Effects 2022, clicking in the Composition panel after a Preview has started tells After Effects to stop building the Preview and to loop from the Current Time Inidcator (CTI) to the end of the what's been loaded into RAM.  It's a method of Previwing a shorter time range than the Work Area on the fly determined by the CTI and however far the Preview has rendered.  Clicking one more time or if the Preview has loaded the entire Comp is the same as pressing the Escape key.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dierenwinkel,

Sorry for the delayed response.

I've tested it twice in the latest and the 22.0 version of After Effects. It is behaving the same as it does on your end. Let me ask the engineers and confirm if this is expected or not.

I'll get back to you asap.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 03, 2022 Nov 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!

Please change this behavior it's very confusing for users.

First I thought my Ae was broken. (and I have 8 years of Ae experience)

Just leave the escape key to have that functionality. 

Much love,

Dierenwinkel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right now this thread is a discussion.  To have it be a feature request, you need to start a new post and choose "Idea".  The After Effects team will see that and users can vote on it.

WarrenHeaton_0-1667512634121.png

Since the addition of RAM Preview (now called Preview), users have always been able to stop the Preview by clicking somewhere.  Doesn't it make sense that we still have an area to click to stop the Preview rather than lose that funcitonality entirely now that we can make edits in then Timeline panel and Effects panel while a Preview is playing?  While we can click the Stop button in the Preview tab, that's the same as pressing Spacebar where the Current Time Indicator moves to the time location of the Preview Time Indicator and not the same as pressing Escape where the Current Time Indicator remains at its current location.  As such, I find it very helpful to have an area to click that matches pressing Escape even if it means clicking a second time if the Preview has yet to load the entire length of the Composition into RAM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am quite confident what you described is a Design Feature and is intended to stop a preview with the idea that a user wants to interact with the Comp Panel's elements. As Warren has suggested, what you want should be directed as a Feature Request. 

I'm also curious what your intentions are with clicking in the Comp Panel when AE is caching frames, to build a preview. 

What's not been shared but I've found to be invaluable in my AE experience is the use of the Shift Modifier key while AE is caching or playing back cached frames (previewing). With the Shift Key held down, you can interact with property values, adjust Work Area in/out points and lots more and the preview will adjust accordingly - it's a cool AE feature that allows you to adjust your animations interactively. HTH

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 04, 2022 Nov 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Roland Kahlenberg & @Warren Heaton 

I wanna click the composition panel because sometimes I start a preview without having the correct scale applied (bottom left 100%, 200% etc. thingy).

Sometimes I wanna disable the transparency. 

Sometimes I missclick when changing the resolution.

Also clicking on the composition panel makes the blue border go around it wich helps me focus better on the composition panel. (I have ADD so I'm distracted a bit easier than most people).

I agree it can be fairly handy now that I'm aware that what I'm describing is a feature and not a bug. 

But the implimentation is very unhandy due to the reasons I listed above. 

I would propose a button on the composition panel you could click to have that functionality. 

This would do the following things:

A: Make it so users who didn't know this feature existed, be able to find it easier.

B: Not make users experience a feature they didn't wanna experience, when for example missclicking.

C: Remove a lot of frustration, with the current way it's implemented.

D: The ability to change certain parameters in the composition panel (Scale, transparency, wich color they are previewing).

Both user groups would be more happy.

Edit: HOLDING SHIFT OMG!!! Yes that's how the default should be not holding a modifier key. I can bet you like 0,01% of AE users know that. I watched tons of (Ae hidden secrets & tips video's) none of them mention that.

Would love to know your guy's & gals thoughts on this proposed extra button.

Much love,

Dierenwinkel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you should file a Feature Request.  🙂

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As best as I can tell, it already does what you're requesting.

If we click the controls across the bottom of the Composition panel while a Preview is running (Magnification, Preview Time, Show Channel and Color Management Settings, Resolution, Toggle Transparency Grid, 3D View Popup, Select view layout, etc.), the Preview keeps playing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Warren Heaton @Roland Kahlenberg 

Yea you guys are right. It's just when I missclick that it's annoying. But I can live with that. If other people find the feature usefull than that is fine with me, no need to change it just for me. 

Now that I'm aware of it it's fine enough for me.

I know the reason why it behaves this way and it's not a bug.

Thanks for your time! ❤️

Much love,

Dierenwinkel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines