• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Color shift on Mac with M1

Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2022 Jun 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working with ungraded footage ProRes444XQ, no colorprofile, only retouch, export ProRes444XQ. Unfortunetely there's a colorshift (also with rosetta). You can't really see it but it's measurable. I opend the project on my old MacBook & the rendering was clean.

New MacBook: Monterey, M1 Max, AE2022

Old MacBook: Montereyy, Intel i7, AE2022

Any experiences?

Thanks
Timo

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 06, 2022 Jun 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Timo,

My apologies for the issue. Are you experiencing this issue in the latest version (22.4)? Could you share your workflow for retouching the footage? Do you see the difference in color while previewing, exporting, or both? Are you using the native After Effects exporter or the Media Encoder? Could you please share a screenshot of your export settings?

Regards,
Ishan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2022 Jun 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Ishan,

thanks for taking care.

-I'm working on 22.4 but I also tried an older version (I think 18.4.6) and also the beta.
-The issue accure as soon as I start to my retouch, no matter what kind of effect. The simplest is a transform with a mask on my source layer.

-While I'm working everything looks fine. I can see the difference after rendering & improting with Lumetri Scope. 
-I tried the native exporter & ME

-I also tried different exports like SGI & DPX (attached you find the QT settings)
plus I rendered on a different M1 machine

If it helps I can send you my project file.

Thanks again
Timo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, were you able to resolve this issue? Please let us know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Ishan,

unfortunately not. Can you open my project and try by yourself?

Replace my footage in the comp with any footage you like, render & import it, put the rendering into your comp, open Lumetri Scope and turn the top layer on/off.
The shift is not on every frame so please check every single frame.

Thanks a lot
Timo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, I'll look into this issue and get back to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check all of the color settings. Start with the Project Settings (Shift + Alt/Option + Ctrl/Cmnd + k) and make sure everything in the Color tab is set up properly. Then check the source footage (Alt/Option + Ctrl/Cmnd + g) and make sure that everything is properly set up in the Color Management tab. If you have calibrated your monitor make sure you understand how to set up and use the proper working space. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Rick,

I don't get the point: Why do I need a calibrated monitor when lumetri scopeshows me a color shift?
Thanks for your support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just created a quick screen recording showing the drastic changes a few changes in color management can make on a project. One of the most common problems is having Linearize Workspace turned on in After Effects. If the color settings between apps do not match, if your After Effects working color space is calibrated, if there are embedded color profiles in the footage, and if any settings don't match, you will get a color shift. 

Your Prorez file was probably at least 10-bit. If you are working in an 8-bit environment, you will lose a significant amount of detail even if everything else matches. I always work in at least 16-bit if I am rendering production masters. Most of the time, I work in 32-bit. I also carefully color manage everything. I have seen no problems on my M1 Macbook Pro or any other machine that cannot be resolved by careful color management and proper bit depth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2022 Jun 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Rick,
you're working on a M1, good to know. Can you do me a favour & download my comp?
Replace my footage in the comp with any footage you like, render it, import it, put the rendering into your comp, open Lumetri Scope and turn the top layer on/off. Is the scope showing any differences?
I'm really excited about your test. please keep me updated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 11, 2022 Jun 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As long as I don't fiddle with color correction or working space, the files are identical. I don't have time to upload a project file with footage right now or create screenshots showing all the settings, but I did try a few different scenarios. The only way I could get a difference, even a slight difference in the original and source footage was to fiddle with Bit Depth or color management and project settings. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2023 Aug 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've seen you answer so many times on these forums and all your answers are like this. You never have an actual answer, but "everyone else is just not using the program right". Stop answering here unless you have good answers that actually help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines