• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Composition window glitch - Freezing and won't let me move or edit graphics

New Here ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently got a new laptop with the newest version of windows installed onto it (Windows 11). I'm trying to use After Effects on it, but it's doing this frustrating thing where it will work just fine for a minute or two before the composition window glitches out and freezes, not allowing me to move elements around in the frame. All the other functions still seem to work despite not being able to see the changes being made in the preview window. After another minute, it'll also start doing this glitch where the composition window won't even show anymore.

Linh22987960ajge_0-1643927179658.png

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program, restarting my laptop and updating it, switching the video rendering and effects, lowering my computer resolution, clearing my cache, and installing older versions of After Effects to no avail. I've also been looking through the forums, but it feels like people are only have composition window freezing issues when trying to play animations and not just editing graphics in general. If anyone has anything for me to try out to fix this, I'd really appreciate it since I need to use this for class!!!

TOPICS
Error or problem , Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Feb 04, 2022 Feb 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Linh Hoang,

Sorry to hear about this!

I really appreciate that you have created a detailed post and provided a screenshot too. That helps!

Can you also provide details about the hardware configuration of your machine? I suspect this to be a graphic driver issue. Have you tried updating or downgrading your GPU driver?

Let us know, we're here to help.

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2022 Feb 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Rameez,

I haven't tried changing the GPU driver yet since this is a new laptop and I've just opened After Effects for the first time on it!

The graphic driver info is screenshoted down below:

LinhHoang_0-1644002770211.png

If it helps, my laptop is a Dell Inspiron 16 Plus.

Thank you!

Linh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2022 Feb 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Device name DESKTOP-5DGBKPO
Processor 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
Device ID FBFF341C-FE22-4982-B38D-2A867B987245
Product ID 00342-20740-48425-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

Edition Windows 11 Home
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎1/‎1/‎2022
OS build 22000.434
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.434.0

A classmate informed me that you probably wanted the rest of this information as well. Please let me know if my hardware is not right for running After Effects so I can start considering looking into a new laptop!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 09, 2022 Feb 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the details, Linh!

Your computer configuration is fine to run After Effects for projects that are not too complex. The screenshot you have shared doesn't have the graphics driver version. Can you launch Device Manager on your system and find Display Adapters? That should list the GPU model(s). If you right-click the GPU name and choose Properties, you can find the driver version. It should look something like this:

Rameez_Khan_0-1644426475326.png

Thanks,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines