Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Configure After Effects for eGPU

New Here ,
Jul 30, 2019 Jul 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I just received my Razer Core X eGPU with an AMD WX 9100 graphics card. I now have it connected to my MacBook Pro via TB3. I also have my LG 5K display connected directly via TB to my MacBook.

My question now is how to configure After Effects to make the most use of this setup? I have really been trying to google and browse through out several forums and blogs, but I can't find a complete guide to this.

First of all, should I enable "Prefer external GPU" in the info panel in the Finder? As I far as I understand, After Effects should call for the external GPU anyway, right?

However, when I run After Affects without this enabled, the load on the eGPU is basically zero. I alos can't find the WX 9100 card in the "GPU Information" tab under settings.

My next question is the settings within After Effects. I guess I should use the "Mercury GPU Acceleration (Open CL)" and not the "Metal" one? I read somewhere in this forum that Metal is still not fully supported.

Anything else I should do?

Best regards,

Niklas

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 30, 2019 Jul 30, 2019

Hey Niklas,

What's up? Sorry to hear that the eGPU is not working.

how to configure After Effects to make the most use of this setup?

We're not quite there yet with eGPU support, as I understand it, so I have to apologize for that. Please upvote this feature request so we can provide this support as soon as possible.

On a positive note, eGPU support is available for Premiere Pro, so please check that out if you're a Premiere Pro user.

Kind Regards,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 30, 2019 Jul 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Niklas,

What's up? Sorry to hear that the eGPU is not working.

how to configure After Effects to make the most use of this setup?

We're not quite there yet with eGPU support, as I understand it, so I have to apologize for that. Please upvote this feature request so we can provide this support as soon as possible.

On a positive note, eGPU support is available for Premiere Pro, so please check that out if you're a Premiere Pro user.

Kind Regards,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2019 Aug 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I configurate my Premiere for the eGpu?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2019 Oct 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there an update regarding the support for eGPU devices?

I bought a Sonnet eGPX breakaway puck RX570, but I don't see a difference at the moment..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm having the exact same issue. i got the puck but i can see that it's still using intel graphics, and i don't know how to get it to switch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2019 Nov 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Niklas,

Do you know if there is plans for Adobe to provide eGPU support in the near future?

It would be a great help if they do.

Best

Daniel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2019 Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any update on AE supporting eGPUs? I recently purchased a Razer Core and a Sapphire RX580 hoping that I'd finally be able to work though my AE projects at a reasonable pace on my Mac Mini. Was so disappointed when I started everything up and noticed a vast improvement with PS and Illustrator but absolutely no difference for AE...where I needed hardware help the most.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I've got the same question as to when After Effects is likely to support eGPU's? An idea of timeframe would be good. I've not bought one yet and I'll be holding off on the purchase until After Effects supports them. Also a list of supported graphics cards for After Effects would be handy. I'm thinking definitely the Razer Core but I'm still looking at graphics cards. I'm a video editor who's doing more and more motion graphics and this last project really pushed my 2019 iMac (i9, Pro vega 48 8 GB, 24 GB ram). 

Many thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear all. I have a work around of egpu and mac, although probably not verified by adobe yet. If you goto aplications, adobe aftereffects 2020 and right click 'get info' on the application itself, there is a checkbox for 'prefer gpu'. Tick that and restart after effects. You will see that the egpu is now being used.

Screenshot 2020-03-06 at 14.11.46.pngScreenshot 2020-03-06 at 14.12.45.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2020 May 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2021 Feb 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Niklas,

I have a MackBook Pro (2018 i9, 32M,  1TB SSD) and a BlackMagic eGPU (560 Radeon), connected through TB3, and I can tell you: After Effects ignores all of it. The AE is eGPU enabled, the RAM shared is 27GB and the sracth disk (SSD) has 600GB. However, the app doesn't care about all of these, specially when there are audiotracks or short footage clips along the timeline. 

It is very disappointing. What is it happening here?

My best,

edo

The mackbook setup

Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 19.03.56.png

The AE recognizes the eGPU

Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 19.02.58.png

There is 27GB of RAM shared and no other Adobe app open

Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 19.02.40.png

Both AE apps are eGPU enabled

Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 19.02.17.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 19.02.06.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, almost 3 years later and After Effects still can't work with an eGPU. What's the holdup Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2022 Dec 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines