• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Content Aware Fill Uses 97% of RAM then crashes

Participant ,
Jun 08, 2019 Jun 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 32GB of RAM, 3GB for other apps (I'm not running anything else while using CAF) and the process get's about halfway then crashes.  While it's analyzing, 97% RAM usage.  I'm trying to remove a small basket in the background of a mostly static shot.

What am I doing wrong?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 17, 2019 Jun 17, 2019

Wonderfilms,

Did trimming the frames work for you? It should have.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 09, 2019 Jun 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could be footage format, frame size, other effects in the comp, frame rate... a bunch of things.

The best way to use CAF is to trim the shot you want to repair to just the frames you are going to use in the project, create a new comp from the trimmed footage, then run CAF. When you have the shot fixed, the safest thing to do by far is to render that comp to a suitable Mezzanine format (visually lossless production format video - NOT MP4) then replace it in your comps or NLE for further work. Keeping a CAF layer in a complex composition with a bunch of other shots is just asking for trouble. If the project is fairly simple you could also just nest the CAF comp in another comp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 09, 2019 Jun 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, do you think ProRes 422 HQ 4096x2160p @ 24p is the reason why?

Should I only do 1080p clips?

But I'll try that trimming thing to see if it works.  But I think 4K CAF is too much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 17, 2019 Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wonderfilms,

Did trimming the frames work for you? It should have.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 17, 2019 Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, trimming to just what I need worked.  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Content Aware fill really doesn't like long sequences. I've been trying to use it to remove some burned in camera HUD stuff from a misrecorded take on a show, and it can't process more than a minute or two's worth of footage (in 1080i) without sucking up all system application memory and then crashing. Hopefully future versions are a bit more robust.
This is a really interesting area of technology though, so I hope Adobe keep at it with their ML based development (and make better use of GPUs -  as far as I can tell, CA fill in After Effects barely touches the GPU)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, it really sucks. I have a 6k pc with 128gb of RAM and after effects is still using 99% of RAM. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines