• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

content moving thing ... I don't want it!

Participant ,
Apr 25, 2023 Apr 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm working with After Effects for about 15 Years and I still don't know the name of this tool, because: I don't need it! Never! And everytime I cut a clip it appears automatically and I just need the selection tool as it was before. How can I stop AE from changing to this nameless tool? 20230425_125538.jpg

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

TOPICS
Expressions , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the pan behind tool which will turn in the rolling edit tool in the timeline.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Rolling edit" or as I figuered out now: "slip edit" and in german "Clipinhalt verschieben" but the problem is, I can't find anything about it. And more important: how to stop the change after using clip divide (strg+arrow up+d). Even Adobe help doesn't know these terms ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 26, 2023 Apr 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its just part of the design of the software. To move the clip you must click on the solid part of the clip! If you click on the trimmed part of the clip it will slide the in/out points. Maybe it doesn't make sense, but it is how it has been forever and to change it now would be a fundemental shift for the rest of us. Some of us do want to slide the clip. 

Another way to move a clip is to park your playhead where you want to inpoint to be and hit the "[" key.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 27, 2023 Apr 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add, if you spot you have the pan-behind tool selected, tap V to switch to the Selection Tool (pointer)

I've not heard of this keyboard shortcut before: clip divide (strg+arrow up+d)

If you're wanting to split the layer at the current time, I use CTRL+SHIFT+D and that doesn't change the tool to Pan Behind.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 17, 2023 May 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry, it took me a little bit of time to figuere out when exactly this change happend. When I press the Y-key to change the pivotpoint and when I'm going back to my layer the selection tool (V) has changed to the pan behind tool! Why? That's annoying. And yes I only have to press the V button again, but thats also annoying. I didnt change it in the first place. For what reason it is useful?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines