• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Crashing while importing Photoshop files as Comps

Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a problem where everytime I try to importat a Photoshop file as a Comp, it crashes.  I am import the same files as footage and they import fine.  It happens every time with all verisons of AE 22, up to 22.1.1.  The project it creates as a result of the crash as the comp created form the PS file, but nothing in it.   I have attached the crash warning.  anyone else seen this or found a solution?  My workaround it to importat each layer individually as footage.

Thanks,

Scott

TOPICS
Crash , Freeze or hang , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My first guess, something is going on in the Photoshop file. You have not provided any project or workflow details, AE version info, or system details so here is how to diagnose your problem.

Duplicate your Photoshop file and name the copy test. Open the file in Photoshop and verify that the color space is RGB. Check the frame size of the Photoshop file and make sure that it is reasonable for a video project. Take a look at all of the layers and look for Smart layers, 3rd party effects, or any other unusual things going on in a layer. Turn off or temporarily delete any suspicious layers, then save the file and try importing again. Keep deleting layers until you find the layer that is causing the problem.

When you figure out the problem layer try making changes that simplify things or use a different font. If you can't figure it out embed (please do not use the Drag & drop here feature) by copy and paste or use the toolbar to show us what is going on in the PSD. cropped screenshots are useless for diagnosing problems. We can probably help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think it is the .psd files, because I can import any layer as footage from any .psd file without a problem.  If a sumple 500x500 file with two layes, each a solid color in RGB space causes the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you verify the PSD is RGB and not CMYK?

What build of AE? What OS? You have still given us nothing we can use to help you. I'm working on comps from PSD files nearly every day with no problems at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As state in the original message, all version of AE 22, including the latest.  MacOS.  I have even unsitalled and reisntalled CC with no avail.  VERY frustrating.  I know it isn't the files because  I have tried older .psd files I have used importing as comps in earlier versions  of AE without an issue.

Other people are having the issue as well:

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911311-after-effects/suggestions/44025366-fix-issues-of-imp...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 14, 2022 Feb 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issues AE 22.1.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2023 Feb 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here if i take any elements or files done on Mac to PC.

but I solved it by importing the same file in after effect using MAC then continue working on PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if you solve it but I was having the same issue, so the solution that I found was deleting the current version (22.2.1) and make a fresh install of the 22.0.0 version (You can make this within the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop app). Since I have an iMac with M1 chip I thought the optimized version would work a little bit better, but no. 

Hope this can help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same problem at my work, where I use a Mac (can't say the computer's spcifications 'cause I'm at home right now).
And this issue just started ocurring suddenly last week. I tried updating everything to the lastest version, and nothing changed.
Now it just started happening at my home PC too (Windows 10, Intel Core i7-4790k, RAM 32gb, Nvidia Geforce 760). With the difference that it doesn't get to show the error message, it only keeps loading forever.
And the PS files I tried are in RGB and I tried with and without text layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I don't know what actually happened here, but I tried creating a random PS file with only some brush scribbles and importing as comp in AE and it worked.
Then I tried creating a new PS file, copying everything from the desired file, pasting it into the new one and importing back to AE. And for no seeming reason it worked.ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2022 Oct 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey I struggled with this today, I don't know if anyone still has the issue, but the workaround I discovered is using a plugin called Timelord from BattleAxe.  It allows you to effectively backend the programs and directly push layers from PS to AE.  Its made to do handframe animation I think, but this is a very useful feature in it and helped me solve my problem.  Its $45 on gumroad.

Hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Funny, I came here to find out why Timelord imports keep crashing AE. Windows 10 newest updates to all the Adobe line. I also can't import PS files as comps, only footage one layer at a time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2022 Nov 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I have the latest version of after effects (23.0) and it crashes every time, I can import layer by layer but not as a Compositon. It's getting very frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2022 Nov 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone, 
Been having this problem for a while, but I finally manage to fixed it. 

What I needed to do is uninstall AE and Media Encoder from the CC app, re-intall both softwares and when firt boot will ask if you want to migrate your preferences DO NOT transfer them. 
And the problem will be fixed. 

Greetings. 

Hope works for everyone. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2023 May 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works. Thanks. But 22 version have quicklier export PSD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2023 Jun 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! sorted it out for me, its been doing my head in šŸ˜•

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2023 Jul 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This still works. What a pain in the $(&

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2023 Jun 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fix is simple. Change the 3D Renderer from Cinema 4d to Classic Dd in composition settings 

Saalvin22306407brtx_0-1686723740346.png

All the layer settings are desabled in cinema4d renderer. Thats why its crashing.

Try this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2023 Jun 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IĀ“m having the same problem, PSD Import freezes and crashes ae.
IĀ“m not sure if the 3d Renderer is really the problem here, but where does one even change the
composition 3d Renderer on import? I always thought it imported as classic 3d by default.

Resetting the preferences works but how is that a solution? I canĀ“t work on standard preferences, I need my custom preferences, some to allow plugins, some for workflow and some for company rules.
Someone said it has to do with the PSD being created on a Mac? Thats the case for me, our Team has both PCs and Macs. Please finally fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2024 Feb 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you! It worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 25, 2023 Jun 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yep it works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 28, 2023 Nov 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is so stupid but you are right!!, I created a new comp and reverted back to normal engine before importing, I forgot I had worked with this stupid Cinema 3D slow engine for a different projet. God I miss the Raytracing engine was 1000 times faster then this crap

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2023 Nov 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solved it for me. I was dealing with this for hours, and then I realized I had done some 3D work and had switched to Cinema 4D, and that's precisely when the importing problems started.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2024 Jan 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! it worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2024 Feb 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to delete "AEGP" folder from "Plug-ins folder" and the psd file imported successfully.

There is some conflict between autodesk plugin and aftereffects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines