• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating motion graphics and not sure what program I need to create them in?

Explorer ,
Apr 06, 2023 Apr 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Below are the export/delivery specs from the client...I'm a graphic designer and a complete novice in regard to creating motion graphics so I'm out of my wheelhouse with this project. The graphics will be various simple logo animations (ex. having the logo repeating and moving up the screen).

It's been a very long time since I've worked in Adobe After Effects. I currently only know how to create simple gif animations in Photoshop's Timeline however I'm not sure I can use that for this project.

Looking at the export/delivery specs below, what program will I need to create these graphics in?

export_delivery specs.png

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 06, 2023 Apr 06, 2023

A combination of After Effects, Illustrator, and often Photoshop will give you the tools you need to turn graphics and illustrations into video. Recording an audio track, at least a scratch audio track, and splitting the illustrations and audio up into phrases is a far more efficient workflow than trying to create a single AE comp that lasts for more than about 10 seconds. The best workflow is to create a comp for each sentence, thought, or phrase, make the animations work so they effectively te

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 06, 2023 Apr 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A combination of After Effects, Illustrator, and often Photoshop will give you the tools you need to turn graphics and illustrations into video. Recording an audio track, at least a scratch audio track, and splitting the illustrations and audio up into phrases is a far more efficient workflow than trying to create a single AE comp that lasts for more than about 10 seconds. The best workflow is to create a comp for each sentence, thought, or phrase, make the animations work so they effectively tell the story of that thought or phrase, render the comps with handles (a few extra frames at the head and tail) and then do the final editing of any movie longer than a few seconds in Premiere Pro. That's where you can efficiently fine-tune the narration, sound effects, and music. 

I hope this helps. You can expect to spend about 100 hours getting the hang of efficiently working in After Effects. Paid courses like Linkedin Learning are usually a better option than just digging around YouTube for tutorials. To tell the truth, most YouTube tutorials are prepared by enthusiasts, and many of the workflows and explanations leave a lot to be desired. Make sure you vet your trainers. 

Most importantly, there is no one-click solution for effective motion graphics. Mobile apps for Instagram and other social media platforms can automate some simple motion graphics, and there are some AI-driven apps on the horizon that look pretty good, but nothing beats understanding the principles outlined in Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnson's book, The Illusion of Life: Disney Animation and a really good eye when you are trying to do the best for your clients and deliver a truly effective product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines