• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating multiple masks with Mocha AE

Engaged ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to create multiple Mocha AE masks in a single project? Or do I need Mocha Pro? Currently, I have to create one mask pass at a time, render out to AVI file, import the AVI back into a new project, add another mask, and so forth and so on until I have all the mask work needed. It's time consuming workflow with Mocah AE. I couldn't find any tutorials for creating multiple masks with Mocha AE, so I am assuming that I need to upgrade to Mocha Pro? 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i think yes it's possible, you should create a seperate layer for each mask you want to create 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean a mocha layer, not a AE layer, 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 15, 2021 Sep 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am unable to combine multiple masks in single AE project. For example, if I want to mask out three areas on a video clip, I have to export a single layer with the alpha channel for each mask and then import that AVI file back into the AE project and comp the three layers for the desired effect. None of the tutorials explicity demonstrate how to combine discreet masks on a single AE project. So, from my experience, there seems to be alot of vaporware hype that doesn't meet reality. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can create as many masks as you like with Mocha AE. Just name them and keep them sorted. I've done projects with one video clip with more than 20 different trackers and a dozen masks. As long as you name them and set things up properly, there is no problem using multiple tracks and masks at one time. 

Maybe this Mocha tutorial series will help. I strongly suggest you reserve some time to go through most of it.

This tutorial will help you see how multiple mattes can be created and used.

Mocha AE is incredibly powerful. Mocha Pro adds a few advanced features that can help with extremely complex tracking problems but I seldom use it in my normal compositing workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I realized that a seperate mask is required for each AE layer. I'm guessing that you created 12 AE layers for each mask? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a bunch of masks on the layer that had Mocha applied then just copied and pasted them, or in a couple of cases used expressions to mimic the mask shapes on other layers. Having a bunch of masks on the Mocha layer does not affect anything if they are all set to off. 

I also rendered black and white mattes to use as Track Mattes. The exact workflow depends on the things you need to accomplish.

Your original workflow of rendering a layer and then tracking the rendered layer that now has transparency, then rendering again suggest to me that you could have just selected multiple splines (Layers) in Mocha and rendered a layer for a track matte to poke multiple holes in a single layer.

Show us your timeline and explain your design goal in detail and we can give you more precise instructions.

Just take a full UI screenshot with the modified properties of the problem layers revealed by selecting the layer and pressing the 'u' key twice. Then use your OS shortcut to take a full screenshot and copy and paste it to the forum, or use the toolbar, or drag it to the reply field so we can see exactly what kind of problem you are dealing with.

In the meantime, dig through the Mocha essential training I posted a link to. Every one of those tutorials will be useful. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 28, 2021 Sep 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Pardon the late reply. I just realized my workflow is flawed. I shot my footage in 4K UHD in order to do digital repo's and re-scaling in a 1920 x 1080 sequence. Unfortuntaly, have to re-edit in UHD sequence. Once I do, I'll return to Mocha AE and hope that I can resolve my orginal problem stated here. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines