Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

creating shape layers from stroke is not working properly

Engaged ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I just finished learning how to create continuous loop Simple Squiggling Line in AE from YouTube. The tutor did that on a simple stroke.  I felt so good after finishing that I want to try on something new. I imagined creating one comet-like wave..

I went to AI. Take a stoke and apply grain brush on that.

I bring back that on AE. But I want to make a shape layer and guess what!

I get a shape layer of 600+ group and my system hanged!

Why does this happen?

Stroke is stroke. Right? If he can pull that on a single stroke why can’t I do that on a grained stroke?

created 600+ groupcreated 600+ groupGrain strokeGrain stroke

TOPICS
User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted to creat this, but in a comet waveI wanted to creat this, but in a comet wave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Art brushes in Illustrator generate pixel data. Hence there is no vector data to convert.

Mylenium 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No they don't.

Art brushes in illustrator when made from vector graphics will remain vectors based when imported into AE and when converted to AE shape layers. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh . I didn't know that. Thank you so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You used a brush in AI. 

AE does not have an equivalent feature to Illustrator brushes so when you try to convert an imported vector layer into a live AE shape layer you get the broken apart paths each listed as a separate group. It is the equivalent of using the expand or expand appearance command in Illustrator to break apart a generated graphic.

Not all Illustrator features are compatible with being converted to AE shape layers.

This is a post that talks about the problems of AI to AE shape layers: https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects-discussions/preserving-illustrator-settings-after-conve...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines