• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dependencies - Collect files not working?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2021 Aug 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I don't know if I'm the only one having this issue... Everytime I try to collect a single comp from my project (Dependencies - Collect files), AE will make a copy of the whole project, even when "for selected comps" and "reduce project" is selected. 

The screenshots show that the file size doesn't change, no matter if I'm trying to save all the comps or one single, rather small, comp.

Using AE 18.2.1 in a Macbook pro M1

Screenshot 2021-08-03 at 13.15.11.png

Screenshot 2021-08-03 at 13.15.19.png

Anyone having the same issue / has a clue how to solve it?

Thanks! 

TOPICS
Error or problem , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 03, 2021 Aug 03, 2021

Yeah, you have to do the reduce 1st then the collect (I usually do a Save As and add "_reduce" to the resulting project name to keep the orignal project unchanged). The Reduce Project option in the Collect Files checkbox has been borken for a very. very long time.  The AE team knows about this issue - not sure when it'll be fixed.

If you happen to be be collecting a project that's had other projects imported, it can be helpful to delete ".aep" from the resulting folder name in the AE Project t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also on an M1 Mac. If I select one comp and reduce file size I get 1 comp and no unnecessary files. It works just fine in 17, 18, and Beta AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without any info about the contents of the project and where what footage and effects are used nobody can tell you much. Simply sounds like you may have a footage item in there that is used in a gazillion comps and creates dependencies that necessitate collecting everything.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fair point... The project does contain many heavy assets like video files etc. However, just to be sure I just tried ann created a new comp with nothing inside but a solid and tried to collect from it... same result. Tries to collect the whole project 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found a workaround published by @Warren Heaton :

https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects/dependencies-gt-collect-files-grabs-files-and-comps-tha...

Saving the project as, then reducing it, then collecting, does work. However it still feels like unnecesary extra steps for something that used to work just fine 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah, you have to do the reduce 1st then the collect (I usually do a Save As and add "_reduce" to the resulting project name to keep the orignal project unchanged). The Reduce Project option in the Collect Files checkbox has been borken for a very. very long time.  The AE team knows about this issue - not sure when it'll be fixed.

If you happen to be be collecting a project that's had other projects imported, it can be helpful to delete ".aep" from the resulting folder name in the AE Project tab before doing Collect Files.  That gets passed to the corresponding folder in the Finder during the Collect Files action and when veiwed afterward in the Finder it can look like an After Effects project rather than a sub-folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines